Baby opossum rescue?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yesterday someone here at work bought in an opossum because their dog had killed it's mother and other babies.
It clearly is not eating, so I've decided to bring it home and attempt to nurse it to health until it is big enough to let go in a park near my house.
Am I correct in using kitten milk formula? Kitten flea shampoo?
I have a big cage out doors that used to have an injured iguana in it. That should serve as a home with a hide box.
Wish me luck.

20150416_113209.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yesterday someone here at work bought in an opossum because their dog had killed it's mother and other babies.
It clearly is not eating, so I've decided to bring it home and attempt to nurse it to health until it is big enough to let go in a park near my house.
Am I correct in using kitten milk formula? Kitten flea shampoo?
I have a big cage out doors that used to have an injured iguana in it. That should serve as a home with a hide box.
Wish me luck.
I wouldn't set it free to close to your house when it starts eating cause your torts may be on its dinner plate ! So instead of good luck let's say be careful . Baby's are always cute and adults are always ungry !

phebe121

Good luck im also saying dont let go near your home could fine his way back takr it about 20 min away to a park or wooded place

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
kitten formula or even puppy formula would work just as long as it's getting the nutrition it needs from the milk

good luck i hope you can save him/her but i really wouldn't let it go near your house i'd also talk to fish and game wildlife control because it maybe illegal to set it free after being in human care

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm not sure I will do that. :(:(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The park is actually more than 15 miles away. It's the one nearest to my house.
I washed him with some natural kitten flea shampoo and he is eating solid food. His gums aren't pale and I only saw one critter on him. So now I'll just let him put on some pounds. He's in a rabbit cage in the bird room for now.
It is amazing how irresistible the babies are and how horrible the adults look and act.

20150416_153832.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I was recently at a meeting for Opossum rescue, in Calif. They nurse them and let them go in area's that are secluded with tree's and definitely water.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Do you have a wild life rehab near by? I have taken a few wild animals and they are rehabbed and put back to the area where they were found.

He sure is stinking cute!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How is he doing? Len (member here) had raised one a couple of years back as I recall.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
He eats like a little piglet and sleeps during the day as he should. Other than the flea shampoo wash. (for kittens) We are keeping the handling and interactions to a minimum.
I don't know how quickly they grow, but he's still large mouse sized. IMO still perfectly sized for any predator to eat.
He's been very easy to deal with. He eats all of his food then poops in the food bowl for us to remove it.
He's on hay with a house to hide in. He had a more extravagant cage before, but he kept getting out.
Now he's in a 54 gallon tote with the lid mostly closed. He can't climb up the sides.
Thanks for asking.
Both my wife and myself are suckers for animals that seemed doomed. Together we have nursed wild birds and several mammals back from the brink and let them loose. The insect eating baby birds are much easier to feed than the seed eaters. ....etc.
This is our second opossum rescue. The last was a larger one that a dog had chewed on. It went well, too and we released him in the back yard of our old house. "Roosevelt" lived in a shed for two more years, then disappeared one day. I'm told they only live a few years. I don't know.
There was a crane type bird that we found that was cut up and badly wounded in fishing line and an alligator that was cut up by a boats engine....That kind of stuff I call my brother for. He works for Florida Fish and Game and has contacts.
I tend to know my humble limits.

Last edited:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
He eats like a little piglet and sleeps during the day as he should. Other than the flea shampoo wash. (for kittens) We are keeping the handling and interactions to a minimum.
I don't know how quickly they grow, but he's still large mouse sized. IMO still perfectly sized for any predator to eat.
He's been very easy to deal with. He eats all of his food then poops in the food bowl for us to remove it.
He's on hay with a house to hide in. He had a more extravagant cage before, but he kept getting out.
Now he's in a 54 gallon tote with the lid mostly closed. He can't climb up the sides.
Thanks for asking.
Both my wife and myself are suckers for animals that seemed doomed. Together we have nursed wild birds and several mammals back from the brink and let them loose. The insect eating baby birds are much easier to feed than the seed eaters. ....etc.
This is our second opossum rescue. The last was a larger one that a dog had chewed on. It went well, too and we released him in the back yard of our old house. "Roosevelt" lived in a shed for two more years, then disappeared one day. I'm told they only live a few years. I don't know.
There was a crane type bird that we found that was cut up and badly wounded in fishing line and an alligator that was cut up by a boats engine....That kind of stuff I call my brother for. He works for Florida Fish and Game and has contacts.
I tend to know my humble limits.
YOU AND YOUR WIFE ARE AMAZING AND LOVING PEOPLE!!!!!
The world needs more people like YOU TWO!!! :p:p:p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
He's very cute :p
I admire you for taking him in for a while, I hold grudges against those little buggers.