Baby Marginated - normal behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzmummy

5 Year Member
Hi new to posting so hope this works OK. Have done lots of research and have just got our gorgeous baby marginated - Buzz (named by the kids!). (the pencil in the photo is just their so you can see how small he is!)
Just wanted to check out something with you all. He seems very happy in his new tortoise table, eating well, and moving around a lot. He does seem to enjoy wandering through his water tray a lot is that normal? Also when he is basking he seems to pulse his head and legs in and out slightly. Is this normal, is he just breathing?? Sorry sounds like a really stupid question when I write it down but just wanted to check.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!!
That is not a stupid question!! :) I think what he does is normal.
He is beautiful!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

I see a couple things not exactly safe in your picture, so please take my advice in the vein it is intended...I'm not picking on you and don't mean to sound like I'm being mean to you.

That dish is dangerous for baby tortoises. The sides are too straight up and down. When babies try to climb out of dishes like that they get over balanced and sometimes fall over backwards, landing on their back. It's best to feed on a flat rock or piece of broken cement (this also helps keep the beak in shape). And for water, use a plant saucer with sloping sides.

Don't feed your new baby iceburg lettuce. There isn't much nutrition in it.

As to your questions...if you don't know the answer to something and need to find out, then no question is stupid. How else are you going to learn. Baby tortoises front legs sometimes pump when the baby breathes. This is perfectly normal.

For your baby's sake, keep on asking those stupid questions! :p

Here's a link to a good place that will tell you what to feed and how to care for your new baby:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/Downloads/Taking_care_of_pet_tortoises_web.pdf

Buzzmummy

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback, am now feeding a variety of weeds as per list on Tortoise trust and growing our own outside! He came home unexpectedly so wasn't prepared on first day!!

Have also changed the bowl and am feeding off a slate with a shallow saucer for water. He does seem to get the substrate quiet wet though with his rambling though the water. Was thinking of putting water saucer on some slates or pebbles to improve drainage and ensure the environment is not damp. What do you think?

Yvonne G said:
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

I see a couple things not exactly safe in your picture, so please take my advice in the vein it is intended...I'm not picking on you and don't mean to sound like I'm being mean to you.

That dish is dangerous for baby tortoises. The sides are too straight up and down. When babies try to climb out of dishes like that they get over balanced and sometimes fall over backwards, landing on their back. It's best to feed on a flat rock or piece of broken cement (this also helps keep the beak in shape). And for water, use a plant saucer with sloping sides.

Don't feed your new baby iceburg lettuce. There isn't much nutrition in it.

As to your questions...if you don't know the answer to something and need to find out, then no question is stupid. How else are you going to learn. Baby tortoises front legs sometimes pump when the baby breathes. This is perfectly normal.

For your baby's sake, keep on asking those stupid questions! :p

Here's a link to a good place that will tell you what to feed and how to care for your new baby:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/Downloads/Taking_care_of_pet_tortoises_web.pdf

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You want the water dish sunk into the substrate, so some slate pieces also sunk into the substrate and surrounding the bowl might help. You might also move the water dish to a less travelled area. I'd be worried about ingesting pebbles or having a difficult time getting good footing on them. Putting the saucer on top of slate would raise it too high and bring back your problem of tipping over.

Does your baby have a humid hide?

We'd love to see a pic of the enclosure so we could offer more tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.