Baby Herman's

creygout

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393233404.969338.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393233431.735437.jpg

Are my baby Herman's pyramiding? I can't completely tell

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
Looks like a little bit of a bump. Do you have a humid hide for them?

creygout

At the moment they are in readi grass which is what the pet shop told me to put them in but after reading this I gather that is not sufficient. I am going to get some moss and wood chips for them later on today. Do you think this will help?

abclements

5 Year Member
I've never heard of redi grass... Is that what they're on in the first picture? I wouldn't do wood chips either, there are much much better options. Plain old top soil, coco coir (crushed coconut that is sold in a hard brick and needs to 've rehydrated), some moss... wood chips provide little humidity and a tough surface to walk on for little tortoises. Can you post pictures of your entire set up? It sounds to me like the pet shop gave you some wrong information.

creygout

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393268242.704374.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393268255.354116.jpg

The readi grass is like green hay. They told me to use that or some wood chip, but the wood chip they did get cought on some times as it was half the size of them! Do you know what the soil is called that I should get and can I get it all from a garden centre? Thankyou!

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
It's something like this. In my experience, it is carried in most pet stores or you can get it cheaper (different company) as planting medium at most garden stores.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010OSIHW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This will really help out humidity and in turn, will help flatten out new growth.

A humid hide can be made out of appropriately sized Tupperware flipped upside down with a hole cut into it so they can get in, I would try to have a couple. I would also cover it in the coir just for aesthetics, but remember to help it warm since it will be humid.