Baby Hermann's more trouble...

Jami

Thank you both. I'm not sure if he's actually doing better or if I'm just wishing really hard! I'm trying to make sure he's well hydrated. He eats spring mix, fresh dandelion (leaves & a flower stem), fresh grasses, and today some of a hosta leaf.

I'll try that cuttle bone trick. He's so cute and I love him. He cracks me up. I made it a little moister and warmer for part of the day today and he loved it. I'm having trouble finding something good to use as a water dish for when I'm at work. I'll be off for the summer soon and hope he keeps healing.

He's growing and his front legs are looking chubby! His nails grow like mad things. I think he's tried to hiss at me but no sound came out. Too funny. I guess he wanted back in his soak when I took him out. He roams around, eats, poops, drinks, sleeps a lot. Seems good except for the bleeding or bruising or whatever it is.

Thanks so much for writing me back!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Tortoises take a long time to adjust. So be patient. The more change they go through, and this can even be handled and picked up moved around can stress them. They're creatures of habit. So if you pick him up once a day or three times a week for a soak he will get use to it. But Don't worry to much and let him be in te enclosure. Hopefully a good turn will be on the horizon soon. Just takes time with tortoises.

Jami

Thank you! I worry so much about these spots. I'm afraid he's hurt and that makes me feel so bad. But I tell myself if he's active & eating & everything else then maybe it's ok. He's so dang cute...and deserves to be healthy & happy. I'm going to get some of the tortoise herbal hay when I can, and some zoo med food to add in too.

Thanks for responding!

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Awe your little guy sounds adorable. Ormond will be 3 months old this week and he has grown and his personality has emerged :) He is enjoying his baths more and gets VERY hungry after he comes out of this bath. But he still sleeps a lot. Does yours sleep most of the day? Mine does. He only comes out for an hour or two after bath time. So lazy.

Jami

Awe your little guy sounds adorable. Ormond will be 3 months old this week and he has grown and his personality has emerged :) He is enjoying his baths more and gets VERY hungry after he comes out of this bath. But he still sleeps a lot. Does yours sleep most of the day? Mine does. He only comes out for an hour or two after bath time. So lazy.
Hi! Oh my he sleeps so much. Hungry after baths too, especially the very short afternoon one. Mine still has trouble ripping some of the food so I held it and he pulled and I pulled and he got a nice big bite. So funny! Ormond is a great name, by the way! Tonight HermIt put himself right into his hut to go to bed. Soooo cute & funny. Congrats on 3 months!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Sounds like you're doing all the right things!!! Good job! :)

For water dishes, many of us use unglazed terra cotta plant saucers. They're deep enough to drink from but have nicely sloped sides so they can get in and out without risking flipping over. And they're inexpensive too!

Jami

Sounds like you're doing all the right things!!! Good job! :)

For water dishes, many of us use unglazed terra cotta plant saucers. They're deep enough to drink from but have nicely sloped sides so they can get in and out without risking flipping over. And they're inexpensive too!
Hi there,
Thanks for posting that. I'll get one tomorrow. He loves the tile I'm using for his feeding area and I'm going to get a bigger one I think - maybe a slate tile. I need something for those nails! I really hope he's going to be ok. I want to see him get nice and big and get old with us!!! Let me know what you think about the slate?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
A slate tile is exactly what I use in her indoor enclosure!
For her outdoor enclosure I just use 2 concrete stepping stones: each one is 12 inches square, so both of them together is 12 inches x 24 inches. I found out I had to put extra dirt underneath then so they would be above ground level because it was staying muddy when it was exactly at ground level.

Jami

A slate tile is exactly what I use in her indoor enclosure!
For her outdoor enclosure I just use 2 concrete stepping stones: each one is 12 inches square, so both of them together is 12 inches x 24 inches. I found out I had to put extra dirt underneath then so they would be above ground level because it was staying muddy when it was exactly at ground level.
Ok great. I can't wait til I can get him something bigger to live in. For now and a little while this will work. Thanks!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Learn all you can about edible weeds and plants, and add edibles to your garden. This time of year you can offer so much good variety. In addition to dandelions, offer pesticide free roses, rose of Sharon, grape leaves, hibiscus, mallow, plantain (the weed) mulberry leaves, geranium & cranesbill, violets, kale ....

Jami

Learn all you can about edible weeds and plants, and add edibles to your garden. This time of year you can offer so much good variety. In addition to dandelions, offer pesticide free roses, rose of Sharon, grape leaves, hibiscus, mallow, plantain (the weed) mulberry leaves, geranium & cranesbill, violets, kale ....
Thanks!! I'm working on that too. Trying to find pesticide free things too.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
When I can't grow the plants myself, I buy them at the store, knowing they've got pesticides on the leaves and systemic pesticides inside the plant leaves and stems. I rinse off all the soil they came in and transplant them into organic soil or dirt from my yard because I know it's pesticide free. After 3-4 months I figure the systemic pesticide may be gone or at least much reduced, especially if the plant has put out new growth after I got it. I also keep pots of plants she likes all year when I can. That way I can transplant them into get enclosure whenever I need to. The ones I currently keep growing regularly are super easy: Swedish ivy, Airplane Plant (also called Spider Plant), and Boston Fern. NOTE: although Boston fern is safe, I've read most other ferns aren't. :)

Jami

When I can't grow the plants myself, I buy them at the store, knowing they've got pesticides on the leaves and systemic pesticides inside the plant leaves and stems. I rinse off all the soil they came in and transplant them into organic soil or dirt from my yard because I know it's pesticide free. After 3-4 months I figure the systemic pesticide may be gone or at least much reduced, especially if the plant has put out new growth after I got it. I also keep pots of plants she likes all year when I can. That way I can transplant them into get enclosure whenever I need to. The ones I currently keep growing regularly are super easy: Swedish ivy, Airplane Plant (also called Spider Plant), and Boston Fern. NOTE: although Boston fern is safe, I've read most other ferns aren't. :)
Thanks! I've got a prayer plant that is really pretty that I can do that with. Thanks for the info!