Meet Hiccup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Here's Hiccup, our brand new baby Hermann's! :D Yes, he's named after the main character on How to Train Your Dragon. lol!

Picked Hiccup up about 10:00 this morning and he seems to be doing well. Gave him a nice warm soak when we unpacked him and then let him roam around his new home. He found the basking spot right away and has been warming up there ever since. It's a chilly 28 degrees here today, so I'm guessing the little guy was pretty cold!

Attachments

• IMG_2937.JPG
    IMG_2937.JPG
    646 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2941.JPG
    IMG_2941.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 62

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Ummm...dumb question but, the side of the box says "Contains one Geochelone Sulcata." The pics I posted are a Hermann's, correct!?!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Hello Hiccup!

He's gorgeous, and certainly no sulcata, don't worry! :p

That'd be a scary surprise in a few years.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
cherylim said:
Hello Hiccup!

Ha ha! Thank you! I was almost certain he wasn't, but thought I'd better ask since the box was labeled wrong! I love the sulcatas, but I'm thinking a little Hermy is definitely a better fit for us right now. lol!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
bellyboo said:
cherylim said:
Hello Hiccup!

Ha ha! Thank you! I was almost certain he wasn't, but thought I'd better ask since the box was labeled wrong! I love the sulcatas, but I'm thinking a little Hermy is definitely a better fit for us right now. lol!

You're lucky - Emrys' box said he was a 'ceramic snake feeding dish'!

bellyboo

5 Year Member
A silly question...how long does it usually take them to "wake up" from the trip? I know he's probably been through a lot the past two days, but my kiddos are going insane waiting. lol! We've had him 3 hours and he's been sleeping under the basking bulb the entire time (except for when he pooped. lol!). We offered food, but he wasn't interested at all. I'm guessing he got pretty chilly on the trip.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
bellyboo said:
A silly question...how long does it usually take them to "wake up" from the trip? I know he's probably been through a lot the past two days, but my kiddos are going insane waiting. lol! We've had him 3 hours and he's been sleeping under the basking bulb the entire time (except for when he pooped. lol!). We offered food, but he wasn't interested at all. I'm guessing he got pretty chilly on the trip.

Yep, it will really depend on a range of factors - most importantly, your little guy's personality.
If you're sure his temperatures are right, it's just a waiting game. Tempt him with food you think he'll like, but give him the time and space he needs to settle in as well.

When I first bought Emrys, I moved him into his table and he sat and ate for a while. He then spent a while trying to get my attention and explore his environment, before settling down to bask. He was surprisingly lively for a week, and I was shocked at how he'd settled in, then he suddenly became more quiet and stressed and I worried I'd done something wrong. It took him a few days to get back to his usual self, but I think he'd just suffered from delayed adjustment stress.

Hiccup might be lively again in a few hours if he's given some space, or it could take him a few weeks to settle in. As long as you keep an eye on his health, soak him regularly and keep offering food, he should be up and exploring soon enough. Of course, that's not to say he won't do a lot of basking - they're lazy creatures by nature, when young! :p

bellyboo

5 Year Member
cherylim said:
bellyboo said:

Yep, it will really depend on a range of factors - most importantly, your little guy's personality.
If you're sure his temperatures are right, it's just a waiting game. Tempt him with food you think he'll like, but give him the time and space he needs to settle in as well.

When I first bought Emrys, I moved him into his table and he sat and ate for a while. He then spent a while trying to get my attention and explore his environment, before settling down to bask. He was surprisingly lively for a week, and I was shocked at how he'd settled in, then he suddenly became more quiet and stressed and I worried I'd done something wrong. It took him a few days to get back to his usual self, but I think he'd just suffered from delayed adjustment stress.

Hiccup might be lively again in a few hours if he's given some space, or it could take him a few weeks to settle in. As long as you keep an eye on his health, soak him regularly and keep offering food, he should be up and exploring soon enough. Of course, that's not to say he won't do a lot of basking - they're lazy creatures by nature, when young! :p

Thanks! It's 94.4 where he's basking and between 70-75 in the rest of his home. He's moved around on his rock a bit, so I'm not overly worried. And when we first put him in he walked all over. Little guy's just pooped I guess! And I don't blame him for wanting to do nothing but hang out on the warm rock...I would too! Cold and cloudy here today. :p

Thanks again!

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Hiccup's up and running around now. Ate ALL the food we gave him and even let me daughter hand feed him, which just made her day! :D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
bellyboo said:
Hiccup's up and running around now. Ate ALL the food we gave him and even let me daughter hand feed him, which just made her day! :D

Great news! What's on the menu today? :)

bellyboo

5 Year Member
cherylim said:
bellyboo said:

Great news! What's on the menu today? :)

He got some of the tortoise food that was sent with him mixed with a bit of repti cal, but he didn't care for that as much as he did the romaine and green leaf. Gobbled that! :D We have a bunch of seeds coming this week and plan to start a little indoor garden full of yummies for him!

dalano73 said:
Thats very good to hear, that he is up and about...

Thank you! It was short lived...he's back to snoozing. lol!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Too much excitement for the little one thats all, now Hiccup is puckered out..

M

Maggie Cummings

Please remember that he's a baby and he will sleep a lot. He's beautiful, I am glad he ate already for you, and hand fed at that!

bellyboo

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Please remember that he's a baby and he will sleep a lot. He's beautiful, I am glad he ate already for you, and hand fed at that!

Thank you!

And yes, I know. We once raised two RES that were hatchlings when we got them. We're just impatient. ;)

lushcious said:
What a cutie! Hiccup's a cute name.

Thank you! My kiddos named him.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
Sleep, eat, sleep, bath, poop, sleep, sleep, eat.... XD it just goes on. So cute. beautiful baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.