Baby Hermanns Growing Fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlomo

5 Year Member
When I was deciding on getting some tortoises, I chose Hermanns because I read that they have great personalities and also because they don't grow too big. What I never expected was how fast they would grow! I've been keeping track of their weight weekly and here are their weights so far (in grams)

8/14 - 26 and 22
8/27 - 31 and 27
9/10 - 36 and 31
9/26 - 54 and 47
10/8 - 63 and 57
10/22 - 77 and 72

They've tripled in size in 9 weeks! I'm not sure if that is normal or not, but it's a much faster growth rate than I expected. I'm going to have to plan a new enclosure for them much sooner than I had expected. Below are some pictures showing the size difference from today and nine weeks ago.

8-6-2011d.jpg

8-6-2011a.jpg

2011-10-22174559.jpg

2011-10-22174530.jpg

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
they looks great! I love their coloration...makes me think of coffee, cocoa, mocha, chocolatey, etc. LOL

Watermelon

5 Year Member
I'm not an expert on growth and that but I got told when I bought mine to aim for 2 grams a month and thats what I've achieved thus far. Can you post up their length please in mm? and how old they are?

Schlomo

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. These little guys are amazing tortoises. They have very outgoing personalities and will climb right up on my hand when I reach into their tank. I think they are always looking for food.

Watermelon said:
I'm not an expert on growth and that but I got told when I bought mine to aim for 2 grams a month and thats what I've achieved thus far. Can you post up their length please in mm? and how old they are?

They've dug in for the night, but I will measure them tomorrow. They were born mid July - so about 13 weeks. 2 grams per month, is that right? Mine have put on about about 20 grams per month so far. I hope I'm not over feeding them. They seem to want to eat all the time though.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Schlomo said:
When I was deciding on getting some tortoises, I chose Hermanns because I read that they have great personalities and also because they don't grow too big. What I never expected was how fast they would grow! I've been keeping track of their weight weekly and here are their weights so far (in grams)

8/14 - 26 and 22
8/27 - 31 and 27
9/10 - 36 and 31
9/26 - 54 and 47
10/8 - 63 and 57
10/22 - 77 and 72

They've tripled in size in 9 weeks! I'm not sure if that is normal or not, but it's a much faster growth rate than I expected. I'm going to have to plan a new enclosure for them much sooner than I had expected. Below are some pictures showing the size difference from today and nine weeks ago.

8-6-2011d.jpg

8-6-2011a.jpg

2011-10-22174559.jpg

2011-10-22174530.jpg

It seems you're doing an excellent job, actually!

Good looking little tort-lets, too! :cool:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Really don't believe they can eat too m uch/grow rtoo fast...in the wild, they eat everything they can and grow as fast as they can.

Now, once they're adults, depending on how little room their enclosure allows, it's possible they might grow obese, but I've never actally seen this happen.

nnaaddiinnee

5 Year Member
North-East Scotland
It seems a little quick but they don't look like they were grown too quickly, often you can see if they have. But your torts growth looks pretty even and the shells are nice and smooth so I would carry on caring for them the way you are. But as mentioned measuring their SCL is a good idea and then you can check that they are a healthy weight for their size.
Cute torts btw :)

Status
Not open for further replies.