Baby Hermann Tortoise Enclosure

thabeska

Location (City and/or State)
Haywards Heath
Hello,

So my son has been asking for years for a tortoise and after doing some research (hopefully correct) we surprised him the other day.

So we have a tortoise table installed, raised off the ground with a separate bedding area.

We are using topsoil substrate topped off by some Mediterranean substrate to get a nice colour on top. In his bedding area some substrate and then like bedding pellets. We also have a heat mat in that area which is temperature controlled so his bedding around is around 22degrees Celsius even on the coldest of evenings in our home.

In the main area we have a log hide and a few ornaments and stones which he loves to walk over along with his food bowl and water bowl. The water bowl is buried in the substrate with rocks in it to help climbing out. We found that if we had this by the wall he liked to fall into it, so we moved it. The light is a combined bulb and we've been told it needs to be changed at least every 9 months without fail.

He seems to be very active and loves the enclosure and also our sons bedroom floor.

We feed him banana flavour pellets with a mix of salad with the calcium powder and this is fresh each morning along with the water. My son also notes down the temperatures each morning and evening in his book which he loves doing.

PXL_20220412_175704339.jpg
Image above of his enclosure.

This is our first time so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Congratulations! My daughter wanted a tortoise so we got an Eastern Hermanns last summer. It has become my own obsession.
Here is a good care sheet for information on raising this type of tortoise. The experts on here warn all of us newbies about the outdated information often given by pet and reptile shops. They are happy to answer questions and give reasons for their recommendations. First recommendation is about using a closed chamber (vivarium) for raising babies. It is the only way to maintain consistent temperatures and humidity which is so important for their growth.
Besides this care sheet, another good resource is a website called Hermanni Haven.

Thread 'The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise'
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Good Luck!