Baby Hermann - How active should they be?

Pittrock

This is our first baby tort (about 4mos) - we've had him a little less than a week. He sleeps a lot - buries himself into substrate majority of time. I have to get him for feeding time. It takes him about 5 minutes to get "active"... I've been giving him regular daily baths, UVB and heat to 90 degrees 12hrs/day. Are babies normally less active and sleep a lot?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Babies do sleep alot. If he is eating well and pooping during his soaks then all should be well. My young Hermanns poop every 3rd soak give or take. Any pictures of the little stud you could share??

Pittrock

He does seem to be eating well and pooping. My daughter "MaddieGA" has been posting a lot of photos to the forum... [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES] - I don't want to crash the web server!!! But here's one of my favorites...

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391749033.370788.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fukkatsu

5 Year Member
Are you sure it's a Hermann? Looks more like a marginated tortoise to me. Still looking lovely though :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Pittrock

Got him from TortoiseSupply. They seem very reputable on the forum marketplace. These babies were part of their collection of Dalmatian Hermanns. They were going to keep them for breeding but wound up getting some adults so have put the babies up for sale.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
I also got a hatchling from tortoise supply (an ibera Greek) and at first he burrowed and slept almost constantly. It took a few weeks for him to get comfortable and then he was moving around a lot more and burrowing less. I would just double check your temps and make sure to keep soaking him. Hatchlings, life any babies do sleep more than adults I believe though

Blkjkoknhrt

Mine comes out about 15 minutes after lights go on - 71F. Basks for about an hour (94F) then trundles over for breakfast (77F) on the yellow spot, or to explore what I did to his tub (I always do it when he's sleeping). Then he goes to his hidee door and basks (90-100F) until he's sleepy, retreats into his hidee and naps for a long while - sometimes 4-6 hours.
Then it starts all over again.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 73

rita leblanc

This is our first baby tort (about 4mos) - we've had him a little less than a week. He sleeps a lot - buries himself into substrate majority of time. I have to get him for feeding time. It takes him about 5 minutes to get "active"... I've been giving him regular daily baths, UVB and heat to 90 degrees 12hrs/day. Are babies normally less active and sleep a lot?

Pittrock, I think I have the brother to your tortoise! I got him form Tortoise supply as well around the start of the month. Mine sleeps all day unless I take him out of his terrarium and let him walk around. Its a little cold where I live so I can only do this on sunny days. He is very happy and active when I do this and trued to eat everything in sight. When he is out side also seems to be only time he wants to eat. What have you been feeding him? I dont think mine has pooped in a couple of days... I'm pretty concerned that hes not eating right at all.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Like Byron already said, yes they sleep a lot and should be allowed to do that as much as they like.

Your tortoise is without a doubt a Dalmatian. I actually identified Tyler's Dalmatians for him when he got them and they are pure Dalmatians.

However, @rita leblanc that tortoise in your photo with the headphones does not appear to be a Hermann's at all. It seems to be a Greek tortoise. Could you please post some more photos asap of it?