Baby galaps in Zürich Zoo

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
After (finally) having gotten my drivers licence I celebrated by visiting the Zürich Zoo. So I went into the Masoala hall first, saw the Aldabras, didn't manage to see a kinyxis.

After a few hours of walking around in the othee parts of the zoo as well, I found the galaps. Next to them was a new building. I went inside and it had just one enclosure. At first it seemed empty, but then... Baby Galapagos tortoises! Five of them! 4 born in 2014 and one born in 2013.

I did see a few pictures on the internet, but seeing them in person? Sooooo much better!

The pictures I have are really bad as they were just cleaning the enclosure and the glass was wet. I'll try to get some better pictures on monday!

Pictures in order: 1. Aldabras inside the Masoala hall

2. Aldabra butts

Attachments

• 1409350970632.jpg
    1409350970632.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 1409351005089.jpg
    1409351005089.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 93

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Awesome

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Wow! I've been there less than a month ago and posted the baby galops in pretend chat 2.14 :) the watered (At least that's what they looked like) were too high... Oh and BTW Switzerland is VERY beautiful :D

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I didn't notice the waterbowls but I'll have a look at them next time. I'd also like to ask what they are feeding them. The growth on thr bigger animals outside seemed quite smooth as well.
There was one galap which seemed quite old, the carapace was completely smooth, no growth lines visible, but it was tiny!

Were you able to go into the new elephant's house? They have Geoemyda spengleri in there as well.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Wow! I've been there less than a month ago and posted the baby galops in pretend chat 2.14 :) the watered (At least that's what they looked like) were too high... Oh and BTW Switzerland is VERY beautiful :D
I mean the waterer was too high... Autocorrect :rolleyes:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I didn't notice the waterbowls but I'll have a look at them next time. I'd also like to ask what they are feeding them. The growth on thr bigger animals outside seemed quite smooth as well.
There was one galap which seemed quite old, the carapace was completely smooth, no growth lines visible, but it was tiny!

Were you able to go into the new elephant's house? They have Geoemyda spengleri in there as well.
No, I didn't enter there :) I did see the camels, snakes, frogs, and a lot of other animals (forgetful me :p)... I'd suggest that they up the humidity, while keeping the temperature up (higher humidity=higher temperatures) and they should put plant saucers as water bowls. Wow, I think I'm being a little too judgy, but their diet should be high in fibre, so grasses & weeds should make a large part of their diet (variation is the key). :D

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Ah yes, the waterbowl is a bit steep, I hope it'll be ok. :/

Attachments

• 1409354447995.jpg
    1409354447995.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 54

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Do you think you can file a complaint/suggestion? Even if no flipping has occured, better safe than sorry :D

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Congrats on your DL and thanks for sharing these great photos!

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
They have been working like mad to improve the living conditions of the animals in the last 10 years or so. In the older enclosures they seem to have reduced the number of animals a bit as to be able to give them more roomm

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
That is probably on of the more fantastic big tort enclosures I have seen (pictures of) in a zoo. Please, more pics!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very nice. Such a nice enclosure for them. Thank you for sharing.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Pretty cool zoo. I was two times there because we've got friends in Switzerland who live next to Zurich. But actually I was there because of the kinixys..:-D I heart that they have K. belliana domerguei in their Madagascar house but I didn't see one. I only saw erymnochelys madagascariensis.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Aww, man, I wish I could those babies... Awesome pictures. That enclosure looks a lot nicer than the Galapagos torts at our zoo have :(