Baby box turtle has a soft plastron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
I really need help guys. I've had my baby boxie since the beginning of October. He's been eating a variety of food like earthworms, reptomin, red leaf lettuce, berries, calcium etc. He has a heat lamp and also UVB. About 2 days ago I noticed a part of his plastron looked somewhat flaky and lighter than what it's supposed to be. Today I picked him up and checked his plastron again, the light discolored area is still there and she also seems soft on her plastron. She's approximately 2-3 months old, is this normal? I attached a picture.

image-2515840855.png

image-1916367439.png

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Agreed, all looks well for the age. Was he burrowed in the coco coir? :p cute picture haha!

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
That whitish area you see is where your baby is growing. As the shell grows, it grows in sections between each scute. So, the lighter color you see is the new growth. As that growth ages it changes to a normal color. Anytime you see that around the edges of the scutes (top or bottom) you know your turtle is growing!! :) :) :) He/She looks great!

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Yay for new Growth! Hazaa

It comes in handy, do you happen to own a scale? That way if the think anything is wrong, sometimes you can tell by weightloss ... But also its fun weighing them and seeing your kids grow...

Status
Not open for further replies.