Baby 101 questions...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
SO, it's been a few days and the girls are doing great. A few questions:

How often should one clean the enclosure?

Do the kids need to be on a schedule? Right now, I get up, turn on their light, wait for them to start stirring (which takes awhile).. Get them their breakfast... Take them outside for awhile... Back inside when we do their soak.. To the enclosure until later afternoon, when we go back outside... Eat again... A little more play time.. Then the enclosure for bed....

What kind of "activities" should be in their enclosure??? (if any?)

Is it ok to wake them up???

Any other tips or suggestions are always welcome!!

Thanks guys,

Jacki :)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
JLSchmittou said:
SO, it's been a few days and the girls are doing great. A few questions:

How often should one clean the enclosure?

Do the kids need to be on a schedule? Right now, I get up, turn on their light, wait for them to start stirring (which takes awhile).. Get them their breakfast... Take them outside for awhile... Back inside when we do their soak.. To the enclosure until later afternoon, when we go back outside... Eat again... A little more play time.. Then the enclosure for bed....

What kind of "activities" should be in their enclosure??? (if any?)

Is it ok to wake them up???

Any other tips or suggestions are always welcome!!

Thanks guys,

Jacki :)

Not sure if I missed a different thread about what kind of tort(s) you have or type of enclosure but this is what we do.
We spot clean ours everyday - meaning we just make sure theres no poops or urinates, clean his soaking dish, and his food slate. We also stir our coco coir.
We don't keep an exact schedule but we do feed and evening soak at around the same hour every night. As for during the day it varies.
We also do not have any activities, but like i said I'm not sure what kind of tort you have but our sulcata self entertains himself by digging, roaming, and eating.
We always wake our guy up - most of the time he naturally wakes up just when we come in the room. They will sleep if they want to and at night.
Hope this helped just a bit, more people will probably come along soon. :)

PS- I just realized you had this in the sulcata section! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If that's all working for you, then its fine. Everyone likes to do things a little differently. I like to leave my lights on timers and my heat on thermostats, so I don't have to be there at the same time everyday. I just have the standard cage furniture in my indoor set ups, but I try to make their big outdoor set ups more "fun" and stimulating.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Tom said:
If that's all working for you, then its fine. Everyone likes to do things a little differently. I like to leave my lights on timers and my heat on thermostats, so I don't have to be there at the same time everyday. I just have the standard cage furniture in my indoor set ups, but I try to make their big outdoor set ups more "fun" and stimulating.

Yeah, I made some adjustments last night to their enclosure (it's obvious it's going to need to be upgraded to a larger size sooner than later).. They have free reign outside and run amuck... Along with my two year old and the dog (because I'm glutton for punishment).. Will they always sleep so much, since they never stop growing? Or will eventually grow to sleep less??

Status
Not open for further replies.