Babies on the way

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Clutch#5!! I think it's safe to say she is a healthy egg laying machine. These new 12 eggs makes it a total of 56 eggs from this female.

The first clutch should be hatching soon. Perhaps the pp male influenced the incubation time and it's longer than most babcocki incubation a. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454358671.073151.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1454358684.892251.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Clutch#5!! I think it's safe to say she is a healthy egg laying machine. These new 12 eggs makes it a total of 56 eggs from this female.

The first clutch should be hatching soon. Perhaps the pp male influenced the incubation time and it's longer than most babcocki incubation a. View attachment 164065View attachment 164066
Crazy! That's a lot of eggs!!! :eek:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
56 babies????? Oh boy..... you are in for it now!!!!!
I doubt I'll hatch out 100%! Lol I'll be happy with 50%. She has only been around with my male since August. He mates with her daily from what I've seen so I'm sure he is getting the job done. The 3rd clutch is showing good signs of fertility. The 4th clutch just finished chalking .

So even with 30 or so babies I will still have my hands full! ......bring it on :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I doubt I'll hatch out 100%! Lol I'll be happy with 50%. She has only been around with my male since August. He mates with her daily from what I've seen so I'm sure he is getting the job done. The 3rd clutch is showing good signs of fertility. The 4th clutch just finished chalking .

So even with 30 or so babies I will still have my hands full! ......bring it on :)
Wow. Just, wow! XD I expect LOTS of adorable baby photos!!!!!! :D

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I have recently turned up the humidity since my first clutch is now at 5months of incubation without hatching. Some eggs are showing signs of the outer shell beginning to split. I need experts opinions but isn't this typical of eggs that are about to hatch? I've had it happen in other species before hatching but since incubating leopard eggs is a first for me I would like the input of some seasoned professionals.
@Neal
@tortadise
@yvonne
@Elohi
@Tom
Or any other experts feel welcome to chime in :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1458094724.769734.jpg

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
still no emergence. I'm honestly starting to get worried that something went wrong along the way with the first two clutches. Some of the eggs that I thought were fertile ended up being duds and the remaining eggs have me scratching my head. Time will tell............but man waiting sucks lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have found that if I spray too much water on the eggs at the end of their incubation cycle they absorb so much moisture that the outer shell splits like that.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I have found that if I spray too much water on the eggs at the end of their incubation cycle they absorb so much moisture that the outer shell splits like that.
Thanks Yvonne. I did dampen the vermiculite a few weeks back but I didn't spray the eggs directly. The egg with the separating outer shell was candled two days ago and I saw the movement of a front leg so i believe it's ok but it didn't look big enough to hatch. So hopefully it continues to progress and I end up with some success.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1458406335.250256.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I don't have any baby tort knowledge, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I don't have any baby tort knowledge, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Thanks. The one with the separated outer shell is still looking good considering. The inner shell is holding up quite well so I think the baby is large enough and hopefully close to hatching soon. I haven't had this much anxiety in quite some time lol. I hate failing especially when baby tortoises are involved.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The alert function doesn't appear to be working.

I don't think I've ever seen splitting like the pictures you've posted. I'll see small cracks, but nothing that looks like the egg is about to crack or split.

What is your ratio of water to vermiculite?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
The alert function doesn't appear to be working.

I don't think I've ever seen splitting like the pictures you've posted. I'll see small cracks, but nothing that looks like the egg is about to crack or split.

What is your ratio of water to vermiculite?
I've had the splitting happen in sulcata eggs in the past but not to this degree. They still aren't showing signs of hatching. I don't know the exact ratio to be honest. After the initial placement of the eggs I don't wet the vermiculite any more for several months until it's in noticeable need of some moisture.I don't spray the eggs directly at any point. Basically the lid of the container shows slight condensation but it's not dripping with humidity. I don't suspect it to be "to humid" since all the eggs are not cracking. I know to much moisture can lead to premature hatching which I've had happen twice before with sulcata eggs.

The outer shell is really dense. More so than what I'm used to with other species.

My friend Sue from Sierraview tortoises said her mix babies generally take between 5-6months before hatching so mine are still in that duration. The first clutch made 5months of incubation on March 15th.

My gut says it'll be another few weeks before they pip. I will candle them tonight to see how they are progressing. Last time I candled them the flashlight was low on batteries so I'll throw some fresh batteries in there and hopefully get a good look.