B grade torts?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
Does anyone but me like B grade torts better? Or am I just a weirdo.....I think there cool and there just different there is nothing wrong with them. I like different. To be honest I think id buy a B grade before a normal one unless I was planning on breeding.

Does anyone else feel this way??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

mikeh

5 Year Member
B grade "aesthetics" was created by human standard. Thankfully nature doesnt recognize this. I chose a "B" grade tort. Think he is perfect.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Awesome! I knew I wasn't the only one. I think there cool. All it is is a difference, nothing wrong with the actual tort. Just a weird pattern on the shell or something. Who really cares

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I seem out "b grade" torts. I don't really believe that there should be a label, but I like knowing that I have a higher chance of a female when it's a hatchling.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
I did not know that. That's cool! I don't plan on breeding at the moment and my torts are still babies but one day it might be a fun experiment. So that's a helpful hint. I love b grade

mikeh

5 Year Member
If the tort has split scutes it doesn't mean it will not produce "perfect" offspring.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It is customer driven. Not seller driven. The seller response to the greater market demand is to discount the animals with what are considered aesthetic flaws. Those in the minority who may prefer them get a little financial benefit to something they are not drivers for.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's nothing prettier than a perfect specimen...however, I really like the 'underdog.' I like the split/extra scutes and the deformed.

I bought two Manouria emys emys from different people two summers ago. Paid the same price for both of them. They were both the same size when I bought them, but one was raised pretty badly and was deformed. This is her:

08-28-13a_zps5ad23a94.jpg

And here she is, two years later next to the other one I bought at the same time, same size:

08-28-13b_zps6c93f01a.jpg

She's not growing, but she's the friendliest tortoise with the most personality. I just love her.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
It seems most people want the "perfect" tortoise. I like the unique guys myself. One of my females was oddly shaped and had a sunken scute as a baby so I bought her because I doubted anyone else would. She is a wonderful tort. Her shape is wacky, very round still with a sunken scute, but she is active and happy.

I have trouble rehoming my babies with split scutes, but eventually I find people who can look past the imperfections to see the real beauty.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
ill be getting my second elongated from bejaman this week...and this one has extra scutes..and it looks absolutely perfect in my eyes!!

mikeh

5 Year Member
B grade Leo. Super active and readily grazes on grasses since 3 months old. Saving $100 was a nice bonus.1377712026521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Yvonne G said:
There's nothing prettier than a perfect specimen...however, I really like the 'underdog.' I like the split/extra scutes and the deformed.

I bought two Manouria emys emys from different people two summers ago. Paid the same price for both of them. They were both the same size when I bought them, but one was raised pretty badly and was deformed. This is her:

08-28-13a_zps5ad23a94.jpg

And here she is, two years later next to the other one I bought at the same time, same size:

08-28-13b_zps6c93f01a.jpg

She's not growing, but she's the friendliest tortoise with the most personality. I just love her.

this is awesome. sure she is deformed but she is still loved and i think she looks great!

IBeenEasy said:
ill be getting my second elongated from bejaman this week...and this one has extra scutes..and it looks absolutely perfect in my eyes!!

:) awesome!!!! im glad i made this thread

mikeh said:
B grade Leo. Super active and readily grazes on grasses since 3 months old. Saving $100 was a nice bonus.

Mike i think his shell looks really cool!!! he is a beautiful tort!

and greg thats fantastic! im sure they will all find good homes one day!

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
mikeh said:
B grade Leo. Super active and readily grazes on grasses since 3 months old. Saving $100 was a nice bonus.

hes very unique..the pattern is beautiful

WillTort2

5 Year Member
On one of my Russians, I intentionally selected one that appeared thin and undernourished because I felt I would do a better job of providing for her than the average first time owner.

She is now one of my best eaters, always cleans her slate even if it's not her favorite. Some times you just have to see the potential in their eyes.

Good luck on making those B grade torts into straight A performers.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mikeh said:
If the tort has split scutes it doesn't mean it will not produce "perfect" offspring.

I can only hope all my splt scutes will someday produce perfect split scute babies. I love unique scute patterns and would love if every baby I hatched had such patterns. There nothing "B" grade about them, they are in my mind the best of the best! I rarely buy anything that is not a split scute.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
It seems this may turn into a discussion thread. I like it. Keep the opinions coming guys! B grades are the best

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Anymore opinions lovelys? I know more people have one

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I love the splitscutes. I think they are adorable. I dont own one yet but my next tort will definitly be a splitty.;)

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using TortForum mobile app

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have plenty of deformed and what would be called "b" grade. I look at them all as a species and not a classified label. In the selling/buying market its really only relative to those terms. Any person can find beauty in anything, whether its normal, or not normal. But really nature has no normal, just what we perceive and label as normal.

I have had fionna for 10 years now. Shes awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.