AT WHAT SIZE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
At what minimum size do most male leopards sucessfully breed? I believe that next year, before they're three, that one of my male p.pardalis could quite possibly step up to the plate, so to speak. What's your take on this? I think that they will certainly be big enough.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
An average number I would say would be around 8 - 10inches. Really it all depends on the size of the female too. Males are ready to breed a relatively young age, but if they can't "connect" with the female, obviously, they can't reproduce. If you've ever seed the male penis in tortoises...it's huge, so even a smaller male has a good chance with a larger female.

I think you have a chance at this point, but it is probably just a slight chance.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Hrothgar, my largest male, currently is 9 3/4", Oma, my female is 16 3/4' I am sure that he will be at least 12" this time next year.
Neal said:
An average number I would say would be around 8 - 10inches. Really it all depends on the size of the female too. Males are ready to breed a relatively young age, but if they can't "connect" with the female, obviously, they can't reproduce. If you've ever seed the male penis in tortoises...it's huge, so even a smaller male has a good chance with a larger female.

I think you have a chance at this point, but it is probably just a slight chance.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
yagyujubei said:
Hrothgar, my largest male, currently is 9 3/4", Oma, my female is 16 3/4' I am sure that he will be at least 12" this time next year.
Neal said:

OK, maybe you have a better chance then. 9 and 3/4" is a pretty good sized male. Do you ever see them mate?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
NO, he really doesn't seem interested at this point.
Neal said:
yagyujubei said:
Neal said:

OK, maybe you have a better chance then. 9 and 3/4" is a pretty good sized male. Do you ever see them mate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The breeder says that his breed as early as six or seven years old, but we are raising them quite a bit differently, and growing them faster and smoother than he does.

This makes me wonder if it is NOT strictly a size thing, and age is still a factor. Maybe there is a typical age for breeding, but they still can't or won't breed until a certain size is reached, or vice versa. With our improved methods of raising them, I wonder what we will learn about age and size in relation to breeding...

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Tom said:
The breeder says that his breed as early as six or seven years old, but we are raising them quite a bit differently, and growing them faster and smoother than he does.

This makes me wonder if it is NOT strictly a size thing, and age is still a factor. Maybe there is a typical age for breeding, but they still can't or won't breed until a certain size is reached, or vice versa. With our improved methods of raising them, I wonder what we will learn about age and size in relation to breeding...

I think age is a factor, just not as big a factor as size because if its not big enough it just wont be able to successfully breed. The tortoise needs its time to mature because there is a BIG difference between a two year old sulcata at 12 inches than a ten year old sulcata at 12 inches. The older one has much more defined sexual characteristics, while the smaller male wont have much characteristics showing he is a male. Which in turn helps the older one mate because he has a very concave plastron while the younger one will have a relatively flat plastron which will kill his chances at breeding with a female thats at least 15 inches. We will all learn a great deal about this subject in at least the next 3 years because of the GPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.