At what age/weight can my girls stop living in a swamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Mo
I have Fred and Ethel who are about 18 months old and one weighs about 5.5lbs and the other one about half that. At what age or size can one tone down the swamp like living conditions? I have no problem keeping it up, just wondering if any one has any idea on when the pyramiding problem slows down.
My plan this winter was to keep the substrate dryer, but keep them sprayed down throughout the day plus still giving them their daily soaking/bath. They will also still have their humid hide to sleep in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think your plan will work great for you right now. Usually by the time they are 6-8", the pattern for growth, either smooth or pyramided, is set and you don't have to worry about it any more. I just moved some 4 incher's outside and their growth is continuing smooth even though its very dry here. Every night they sleep in an underground box that is around 70% humidity and 78-80 degrees. They were a little notchy when I first got them, but they have really smoothed out with the "swampy" routine and I moved them outside around a month ago. They still get daily soaks and a water bowl, but they are out in the hot dry air every day.

Have you figured out why one is half the size of the other yet? :)

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
I never had mine living in swamp conditions, they were soaked 3 or 4 times a week and lived in dry substrate. I also did not give them any protein or fruit. no pyramiding.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
Tom said:
Have you figured out why one is half the size of the other yet? :)

No I think Ethel is just a slow grower, I got them from the same person when they both weighed 40g. Then had them separated for about 9 months because I though the Fred was bothering Ethel and that was why she was smaller. When the 2 were separate it was Ethel that walked the board separating them and kept trying to break through. One day I cut a small opening so only Ethel could fit through and she would move to Fred's side almost all day ,so I took the divider out and they have lived together since.
My guess it is the same reason why Ethel is not as smooth as Fred, but I dont think I will ever know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.