Age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi there!

I have my two sulcatas for one month now, and I still don't know their age! The guy from the reptile shop told me they were about one year old, but I don't believe it since they are so small!

Here is some information:

Tim is 3.3" and weighs 139 grams

Tess is 2.8" and weighs 91 grams.

How old are they do you think?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's just no way to know for sure, Menno. Can we see a picture of them? At that size I would assume they are in their first year of life.

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
emysemys said:
There's just no way to know for sure, Menno. Can we see a picture of them? At that size I would assume they are in their first year of life.

Here are some pictures. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Do you know how much they weighed a month ago when you got them? Do you know if the two are from the same clutch?

Like Yvonne pointed out, its impossible to get an exact age. There's too much variation from individual to individual and a lot of factors come into play including genes, diet, environment, and overall health. That said, I doubt they are more than a year old. My guess is in the range of 2-4 months.

Just to give you an idea of the range of variation, I've got two small sullies, one is 220 grams at 6 months old and the second is 80 grams at 4+ years old. The second is an extreme example of a rescue with severe growth problems, but you get the idea that there is variations in sully growth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They could be anywhere from 3 months to 3 years. When they are raised dry, as is the case most of the time outside of this forum, they tend to grow very slowly.

Put them in a humid closed chamber, start soaking daily, offer a humid hide, and their growth will pick up substantially.

Most people still incorrectly think we need to give them an environment that simulates and African desert. Actually, we need to be giving hatchlings an environment that simulates the African rainy season that they hatch into. Will you try it out and then spread the word in your part of the world?

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Tom said:
Put them in a humid closed chamber, start soaking daily, offer a humid hide, and their growth will pick up substantially.

Most people still incorrectly think we need to give them an environment that simulates and African desert. Actually, we need to be giving hatchlings an environment that simulates the African rainy season that they hatch into. Will you try it out and then spread the word in your part of the world?

I know Thom, the wood chips are always damp, and I soak them daily. I do believe that too dry isn't good for them, so don't worry! They also have acces to an indoor-indoor enclosure, with bark substrate. The humidity is there about 80-90%. And every night I put them in there. :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I believe they are more like 6 months. They seem to have prior and welcome present Pyramiding going on...proper diet, exercise, natural sunshine. Humidity and hydration...

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Tom said:

Good that you point that out, Tom! I'm also active at a dutch forum, and everyone there is convinced that you should keep your sulcatas dry. I'm trying to make them believe it isn't, but it is not quite simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.