Substrate recommendations?

FriendlyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get a tortoise soon (Hermann's) and was wondering if there's any substrate which is also bird safe? I have a parrot that will be in the same room as my tortoise and I need a substrate that is also safe for them - parrots have very sensitive respiratory systems!

There's quite alot of "bird" substrate you can get that I'm unsure I can use for a tortoise like EasiChick - https://www.petsandfriends.co.uk/products/easichick-poultry-bedding-10kg - could this be used for tortoises? or has anyone got any tortoise AND bird safe substrate they use?

I've also heard of aspen bedding, beech chips or carefresh being used in tortoises and it's bird safe. Is this ok for tortoises?

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Orchid or fir bark. Rinse it before using to get any dust off and then put it in your torts enclosure damp. It will help with humidity for your tort to be a little damp. Shouldn't bother your birds, @Tom has birds in the same area with some of his torts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get a tortoise soon (Hermann's) and was wondering if there's any substrate which is also bird safe? I have a parrot that will be in the same room as my tortoise and I need a substrate that is also safe for them - parrots have very sensitive respiratory systems!

There's quite alot of "bird" substrate you can get that I'm unsure I can use for a tortoise like EasiChick - https://www.petsandfriends.co.uk/products/easichick-poultry-bedding-10kg - could this be used for tortoises? or has anyone got any tortoise AND bird safe substrate they use?

I've also heard of aspen bedding, beech chips or carefresh being used in tortoises and it's bird safe. Is this ok for tortoises?

None of those are suitable for tortoises. None of the substrates that are suitable for the tortoises are harmful to the birds.

Orchid bark works best. I like coco coir for baby Testudo and orchid bark for older Testudo. Cypress mulch can work too if you can't find orchid bark. Any tortoise substrate needs to be damp, not wet, but lightly damp to increase humidity and keep dust to a minimum. Dry substrates do not work for tortoises. You need something that will not cause mold and mildew or rot when kept damp.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi welcome. I use orchid bark available from Swell reptile on line in the UK, they do fine and course depending on your tort size. I use a plant water sprayer to damped but not saturate.