Are tortoises social, do they like company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
This is a pretty basic question probably but one I don't know about. My friend asked me if tortoises cared if they have a buddy? If one dies would the other be lonely?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Not really...a few varieties, like redfoots, are somewhat communal, but most are pretty much loners, except when breeding time comes up, so are just as happy alone.

And some are VERY territorial (Steppe or "Russians" are, for instance) and can get ugly w/ other tortoises around, unless they have plenty of space.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Thanks,, i think my two russians are unusual for being pk together. Apparently they are about 11 or 12years old for doris and boris is a bit younger. I asked the person I got them from and she figures for sure they are that old. She is 6", he is 4". She said she never saw him bothering her and from what I see they are not sociable. I am building a large tort table so that there is more room. Maybe because they have been together for yrs he doesnt try to mate her. I doesn't matter to me if they breed and its not likely I would think as they have been together for yrs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Generally no they don't like or want company. Generally leopards and redfoots tolerate each other well, but groups are still better than pairs. It could be argued that pancakes are an exception to this as they coexist in the wild in groups. Some speculate that this is purely a function of usable space within their specialized habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.