Are these things in my backyard safe to feed to my redfoot?

byviolet

Hey guys, I found a few plants in my backyard but I'm really not sure if they're ok to feed for my tortoise. I currently give him lettuce, arugula and dandelion greens but I don't think that's enough. If any of you know the names of the plants and whether or not they're safe to eat that would be great!
4Kd8TOS.jpg

BufZqTL.jpg

kHKzTxD.jpg

hZTdeP0.jpg

MQZF5sa.jpg

4C16hvI.jpg

nM9ReGs.jpg

aT6FFKM.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Only the dandelions and garlic mustard growing at the base of the last unidentified plant are safe, and the garlic mustard may not be accepted or enjoyed. Nix on everything else. My crew ignores the celandine (1st pic). That grows everywhere. No on those broad leaves of the tulips. There's one weed that might be okay.

byviolet

Only the dandelions and garlic mustard growing at the base of the last unidentified plant are safe, and the garlic mustard may not be accepted or enjoyed. Nix on everything else. My crew ignores the celandine (1st pic). That grows everywhere. No on those broad leaves of the tulips. There's one weed that might be okay.

Which one is the garlic mustard? I can't seem to identify it. And thanks, guess I can't feed those to my tortoise. And which is the weed that might be okay?

byviolet

Also, I think the last pictures has some sweet violet ? I'm not sure if I'm correct however.

EDIT: oops okay, was typing this as you posted your comment. So is the violet on the last picture okay to feed?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
No, I said the thing that looked like frilly violet leaves is really garlic mustard. Humans can eat them, but I don't like them. If it smells garlicky when you pull it, you'll be certain. Garlic mustard is a terribly invasive weed in the US. Easy to pull but spreads like crazy & drives out everything.

chazd1984

5th picture looks a bit like turnip greens.........I could only identify in person for sure though.