Plants in My Backyard

ngv123897

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hi everyone! I just wanted to know if any of the plants and weeds in my backyard are safe for my leopard tortoise to eat. Please ignore how bad it looks.. My family and I haven't touched it in years because we're afraid of snakes but if there is something edible for my tortoise in there... I AM WILLING TO TAKE THE RISK

IMG_20190418_125751.jpg IMG_20190418_125741.jpg IMG_20190418_125733.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's too much going on in each picture to get a good feel for each plant. I THINK in the first picture, the small plant towards the bottom is some sort of violet, the middle one is oxalis and I don't know the plant above the other two. I don't recognize any of the plants in the other pictures. Let's see if @RosemaryDW can help.

ngv123897

Hong Kong
There's too much going on in each picture to get a good feel for each plant. I THINK in the first picture, the small plant towards the bottom is some sort of violet, the middle one is oxalis and I don't know the plant above the other two. I don't recognize any of the plants in the other pictures. Let's see if @RosemaryDW can help.

Eheh sorry :confused: I'll try and take better pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion of what they could be though :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yeah, sorry but it’s a mess in there. Get some gloves, a long sleeved shirt and a bucket, then get rid of all the dead leaves and any obviously dead plants.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Sorry!

I’m sure there is something down there or minimally you’ll end up with a spot where something could go!

ngv123897

Hong Kong
Sorry!

I’m sure there is something down there or minimally you’ll end up with a spot where something could go!

It's okay ;) sorry if I sounded a little sad in the response. I was typing on my phone and the page is a little weird so I typed the shortest thing possible. I've started planting some weeds and fed a little bit of fuchsia today so all is well.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Funny that this is one of the few places that encourages planting weeds! If my neighbor knew I was he would lose it! [emoji6]

Relic

Here
I see elephant ear in the second photo, which I believe is a no-no...at least the foliage.

ngv123897

Hong Kong
I see elephant ear in the second photo, which I believe is a no-no...at least the foliage.

I think it's too hard to identify anything from these pics.. there are also all sorts of things there such as dragonfruit.. So I think my best bet is to just plant some weeds on my own :D I was planning on buying a prickly pear cactus for my tort but I was wondering if people spray pesticides on them or not? And if they do, will the pesticides somehow get into the new growth?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Very unlikely to be clover.

I don’t think most cactus has pesticides as they aren’t prone to many bug infestations but you could buy one from Tyler’s Tortoise Town or on Amazon, or ask a friend for a pad from their cactus. I wouldn’t plant it in that spot; seems too shady? I think you’ll want to look for some plants/seeds that are good in shade.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Wait, I take some of that back. You have true dragonfruit in there? Like this,

Dragonfruit is a cactus! It’s similar to prickly peaer cactus in that it bears a fruit edible to humans.

5831C948-6450-4760-99C2-D7BECF994ED6.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Just make sure it matches the picture; I’ve not seen it growing myself and imagine it could be something else. So just to be on the safe side.