Are there any glass substitutes that allow heat and uvb/a to pass through

Jimbo0525

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
From what I understand glass blocks uvb mostly but there has to be a substitute that allow it right? The bulbs are made out of some clear glass thing I was just wondering if that allow heat transfer and what that’s called or if there are any other things that allow both heat and uvb/a

Jimbo0525

Wisconsin
I have a hatchling eastern hermanns and am looking for an effective way to keep humidity and heat in

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From what I understand glass blocks uvb mostly but there has to be a substitute that allow it right? The bulbs are made out of some clear glass thing I was just wondering if that allow heat transfer and what that’s called or if there are any other things that allow both heat and uvb/a
Barb gave you the answer. The heating and lighting needs to be INSIDE the enclosure. All the heat generated by that HO UV tube should be contained inside your enclosure.

They do make specialty glass and plexiglass that will permit UV rays, but I don't know where to find that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Barb gave you the answer. The heating and lighting needs to be INSIDE the enclosure. All the heat generated by that HO UV tube should be contained inside your enclosure.

They do make specialty glass and plexiglass that will permit UV rays, but I don't know where to find that.
And I believe it's very expensive.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When I had closed chamber enclosures, I'd always attached my T5 HO UVB fixtures to the underside of the lid. On the inside of the enclosure.
The small amount of heat generated by the fixture also kept the enclosure warm. Right at 82.
I keep Redfoot. You may need a second heat source. Like a CHE.
In a closed chamber, the warmth and the humidity are easy to hold in

Reactions: Tom