tortoises and glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saloli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
middle river
okay so I've been thinking about this for a while I've read of tortoises and box turtles that are being or have been kept in glass terrarium cages getting stressed and constantly trying to crawle through the glass. I for one have never seen this. In my expieriance once they know where the walls are they don't try to go through them. though some individuals climb out of them. my question is what is your expieriance? oh to clarify (not sure if that is correct) i don't mean standard width aquariums i mean like 40 breeders, 75s, 100 breeders and such wider tanks. thanks for your input

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My personal experience has been that my tortoises don't try to go through the glass or pace the enclosure any more with glass walls, then they do with solid ones. I also find the same thing with the outside enclosures and using wire sides. :cool::tort:

M

Maggie Cummings

I have 11 glass aquariums some are over 100 gallons and several are square with short sides. I have always used glass tanks and never had a problem with them. The actual only problem I have ever had is the animal sees me walking past and begs for food and I of course must give in. I personally think glass tanks are fine

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've used glass tanks for 30 + years, with no problem. I like to see my torts and interact with them.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Tanks Are Okay, If They Are Big enough for the tortoise!!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Yes as a noobie last year i bOught a rubbermaid tub but i am now using a glass aquarium and it is great. What i di is i place the aquarium in a large rubber maid tub so he he doesnt really have a great view. But i do like leaving his aquarium outside on wafm days and he enjoys peering outsidr and sunbathe. I guess it depends in your tOrt

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had lizards do the snout rubbing thing, but never a tortoise. For the odd lizard that has that problem I just tape up some brown bag over the lower part of the tank and they stop. I prefer to use glass tanks for all the reasons people say they are bad.

Amber richardson

5 Year Member
I have my two year old in a 100 gallon I live in washington I feel like I can ragulate his temp better and he is vary active and healthy, He is about 5 pounds so I am looking at the vary near future needing somthing bigger. I tell my ten year old "you have to move out or your on the couch when your 18, Shelly will need his own room." He's laughing now, but Im not joking

turtletania

5 Year Member
i have 3 large tanks. One is 8ftx3ft - for my Indian Stars. One is 3ftx2ft - for my Leopard. One is 3ftx4ft - for my baby sliders. And i have another 3ftx4ft - ready for my Radiata (due to arrive end of April)...
........ so far NONE have paced or tried to get out. I love watching them, and like Maggie, i always give in if I see them sitting on their food tile!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Amber richardson said:
I have my two year old in a 100 gallon I live in washington I feel like I can ragulate his temp better and he is vary active and healthy, He is about 5 pounds so I am looking at the vary near future needing somthing bigger. I tell my ten year old "you have to move out or your on the couch when your 18, Shelly will need his own room." He's laughing now, but Im not joking

Hi Amber:

Why don't you go to the "introduction" section and introduce yourself and your tortoise to us. That way we can give you an official welcome! :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I am looking for a larger size glass tank myself to hopefully regulate the temps better..unless I can get motivated enough to build a wood enclosure that would work..

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
HarleyK be careful leaving is terrarium outside!
the sun can heat up the glass pretty good,
and burn your tortoise up right away!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I raised my russian for the first two years in a glass tank. Only reason I switched over is because I needed something larger but didn't want the weight of a glass tank. I did find that mine paced alot back and forth when in the glass tank and now I never have an issue. Plus, with the wood one I have now I have it customized the way I like it.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I've been in discusions about this before on this forum. While I agree it could be possible that an individual animal may get stressed out over glass, I haven't seen it. To me pacing is a normal behavior for a healthy tortoise that is enclosed. They wander instinctively and SHOULD always be trying to get out. Yes hopefully they're smart enough to give up for a while and "learn their boundaries", but I'm sure boredom sets in they're thinking "hmmm maybe I can find a way out this time".

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Oh wow. I wasn't expecting such a great response to my question. Though as I said i've never seen it in a turtle but in a tegu and a race runner (two large predatory lizards). I also put my turtles outside in totes for the spring summer and fall (til it gets in the 50's) though I don't currently have any tropicals. It is amazing how often when one or a few instances of something occurs people tend to over emphasize it and spread it as gospel.

A

Anthony00814

There are abundant added problems associated with glass aquariums. One of the a lot of austere is the fungal and added respiratory problems that generally appear due to bereft ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.