Is there glass or plastic that lets uvb through?

Freddy90

Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Wondering if there is glass or some kind of plastic on the market that let's uvb through.
I know there's probably not something that let's 100% through but maybe like 70-90% ?
I cant find anything online that says it let's uvb through...maybe someone here has some info :)

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Yes. I was playing around with the idea of using something like that on hatchling enclosures so I could put several small closed chambers under a larger light fixture. It never got past the planning stage.

Most glass and plastic absorbs UV on purpose (by design) but it doesn’t have to be that way. You can buy UV-transparent acrylic sheet but it’s expensive new. It’s used inside tanning beds. Occasionally I see broken tanning beds cheap on Craigslist, which would yield a decent amount of sheet.

Freddy90

Austria
Yes. I was playing around with the idea of using something like that on hatchling enclosures so I could put several small closed chambers under a larger light fixture. It never got past the planning stage.

Most glass and plastic absorbs UV on purpose (by design) but it doesn’t have to be that way. You can buy UV-transparent acrylic sheet but it’s expensive new. It’s used inside tanning beds. Occasionally I see broken tanning beds cheap on Craigslist, which would yield a decent amount of sheet.
Gonna read about that acrylic now thanks for the tip! :)

Freddy90

Austria

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Not a bad idea