Are coyotes a threat?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
There are coyotes in my area. In the summer I put my redfoot outside during the day and bring him back in in the evening. I know there is a mom coyote in the area so I'm wondering if they would prey on a tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Seems like here in my neighborhood they are active early evening and real early morning, maybe night too. Never see them during the day here, though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm sure they are a threat. Same as coons, opossum, fox even possibly a skunk, even though the skunk is looking for bugs, it still could do a little damage. I do know skunks will dig up next holes, even if no eggs are left in them.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Seems like here in my neighborhood they are active early evening and real early morning, maybe night too. Never see them during the day here, though.
Yeah, we saw her before 7:30 this morning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They can be. There are many factors to consider. Food and water availability, how desensitized to people they are in your area, and whether or not people hunt them in your area.

Our area has lots of them, but people shoot them on sight to protect their kids and animals, so around here they don't go anywhere near people or people habitation. They are very leery of any sort of human activity and they never come on to my ranch. The dogs, the people and the donkey seem to keep them away.

In some areas no one hunts them, people leave food out, and the wildlife is very desensitized to people. In an area like that, your tortoise will be a snack as soon as it is discovered.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They can be. There are many factors to consider. Food and water availability, how desensitized to people they are in your area, and whether or not people hunt them in your area.

Our area has lots of them, but people shoot them on sight to protect their kids and animals, so around here they don't go anywhere near people or people habitation. They are very leery of any sort of human activity and they never come on to my ranch. The dogs, the people and the donkey seem to keep them away.

In some areas no one hunts them, people leave food out, and the wildlife is very desensitized to people. In an area like that, your tortoise will be a snack as soon as it is discovered.
It would be the latter here unfortunately. I live in a suburb where the houses are real close together. But I live on a street with no street behind it. So instead of having a house behind me like most I have a small wooded area where deer live. Then the people who live 7 houses up the street from me are raising chickens in their backyard. I have 3 dogs - two that weigh 7 lbs each and one that weighs 15 lbs. They never ever go outside without supervision. But my redfoot normally spends the day in half the backyard that is feneed separate from the dogs. I don't feel comfortable with that anymore.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It would be the latter here unfortunately. I live in a suburb where the houses are real close together. But I live on a street with no street behind it. So instead of having a house behind me like most I have a small wooded area where deer live. Then the people who live 7 houses up the street from me are raising chickens in their backyard. I have 3 dogs - two that weigh 7 lbs each and one that weighs 15 lbs. They never ever go outside without supervision. But my redfoot normally spends the day in half the backyard that is feneed separate from the dogs. I don't feel comfortable with that anymore.

Have you seen my outdoor russian enclosures? Its basically a giant cage. You can see it here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/
Its toward the end of the pics. Just scroll down.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Wow, that's so awesome! I'm not sure how elaborate I need to go as my redfoot comes in in the evenings. I'm wondering about maybe a dog kennel for daytime when he's out there.

Rue

Canada
I think a dog kennel is a good idea, but I agree, you'll have to custom-fit it for your tortoise.

Look through the outdoor enclosure threads - at the photos - for ideas of what might suit your situation.

I was thinking kennel as well...but I think we're going to build it from wooden posts, like we did the chicken coop run.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I think a dog kennel is a good idea, but I agree, you'll have to custom-fit it for your tortoise.

Look through the outdoor enclosure threads - at the photos - for ideas of what might suit your situation.

I was thinking kennel as well...but I think we're going to build it from wooden posts, like we did the chicken coop run.
I'm wondering about a kennel, maybe 8 feet by 10 feet or so, and then lining the bottom perimeter with concrete blocks. The problem is we are financially stressed right now so buying a brand new kennel is out of the question.