I want just ONE MORE Tortoise! Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moofahsa

5 Year Member
I have 2 yearling sulcatas I got from Arizona Tortoise Compound. My 4 year old daughter LOVES THEM. I have TONS of room and the tortoises will reside in a 1 acre fenced lot once they grow up some. (We have coyotes, birds of prey, whatnot)

I'm undecided on what species to get. In the winter in East Texas I have a large building I'm going to heat to let them ride the winter out in comfort.

I LOVE large tortoises, just not sure which direction to go. I would love to get an Aldabra, but I'm guessing those are a bit for the more "experienced" tortoise keepers. Thinking about a giant leopard tortoise, but I don't see any of the ethiopian variety for sale. Guess they never made it to the USA?

Any thoughts? Should I just dive in on a Aldabra or no?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You shouldn't dive into anything. First, read, read, then read some more. Second, The two Sulcata's you have will probably have to be separated, you do know that, correct. In fact, the chances of them not being separated is almost 0. The Aldabra can not be houses with the Sulcata's. The bigger they are the more a vet bill is if you can't drive them to the vet. Can you house, heat, feed three large torts separate ? Put a lot of time into answering these questions and read up on them all then make your decission. Also, see what others have to say. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Moofahsa

5 Year Member
wellington said:
You shouldn't dive into anything. First, read, read, then read some more. Second, The two Sulcata's you have will probably have to be separated, you do know that, correct. In fact, the chances of them not being separated is almost 0. The Aldabra can not be houses with the Sulcata's. The bigger they are the more a vet bill is if you can't drive them to the vet. Can you house, heat, feed three large torts separate ? Put a lot of time into answering these questions and read up on them all then make your decission. Also, see what others have to say. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Yes, they are seperated now. Housed in approx 100x100ft area each.

Space is not an issue, nor is money. Only thing I see wrong with keep any animal here is a reliable vet. I'm about 100 miles from Dallas and the vets here are mostly specialized in horse/cows.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
If I were I you I would look into getting some Paradalis Paradalis leopards. They have the same care requirements as a sulcata. They get big, look cool, and are very hardy. My GPP are growing way faster than all of my babcocki. Good luck on what you decide!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.