Are blackbirds a potential threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I looked outside today to see a whole hoard of blackbirds over by Carl's outdoor baby pool. It's in a dog kennel that we don't use anymore, so it's completely closed off with chainlink fence, but obviously the blackbirds can get through.

I ran in and shooed them off, I don't think any of them were actually in the baby pool, they were just picking at the little weeds and things inside the dog kennel, and they were probably getting some shade as well.

At any rate, baby Carl sure thought they were a threat to his breakfast. The last time I checked on him, ten minutes before hand, he had left half of it sitting out and was burrowed with his little head poking out near by. Well, this time aroud he was standing on top of his pile of food, not eating it or anything. As soon as I came out and the blackbirds left, the threat to the snack he was saving diffused,he wondered back to his burrow :rolleyes:

Would blackbirds ever really be a bother to a tortoise? Obviously they may pick at his food if he keeps leaving so much (I don't even think they will really do that, honestly), but would they ever try and hurt him?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Yeah they can be if your torts small....they would sometimes kill my box turtles if they were too small,

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Just regular old blackbirds. If we want to be incredibly specific, I believe they are rusty blackbirds. But Brewer's blackbirds and redwing blackbirds are also common in my area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You said they are in a dog kennel. To be on the safe side. Can you wire up some chicken wire across the top of the kennel. Will still let in plenty of sunshine and will keep out the birds.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Bird or deer netting is inexpensive, easy to handle, and would eliminate the birds' access to your kennel.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
futureleopardtortoise said:
I think we actually have some bird netting sitting around the shed. Thanks everyone!

I feel an added peace of mind coming soon. :cool: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.