Are all Hibiscus created equal?

Tinker-Tot

Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert, AZ
I have a hibiscus plan that has been growing for a while in my back yard and I was wondering are all types of hibiscus safe for our shelled friends??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Safe?, yes. But some are a little peppery.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
My favorite hibiscus are rose of Sharon, and the confederate rise. The get huge and come back every year...

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I have the native (to AZ) Hibiscus, H coulteri and H denudatus and H biseptis. I can't get coulteri to grow, but it's not dead (yet). She likes denudatus and eats it when she finds it but I had to cage off the biseptis to give it a chance to grow, she devours it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't know the scientific names. I keep getting "gifted" more and more plants and have at least a dozen now. Some are more eagerly eaten than others.
I honestly wouldn't know a ROSE OF SHARON if I tripped over it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a hibiscus plan that has been growing for a while in my back yard and I was wondering are all types of hibiscus safe for our shelled friends??

There are many plants in the hibiscus family. I don't know of any that are toxic, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Can you post a pic of yours? Or do you know the latin name?

Tinker-Tot

Gilbert, AZ
I don't know the Latin name but here is a pic...

Attachments

• 20150320_110240.jpg
    20150320_110240.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Perfect. That's the variety that grows here like a weed. Flowers and leaves are great!
When my garden gets depleted, I've leaned on Hibiscus leaves to fill in. It grows back very quickly.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
There are several rose of sharons in my garden with different colored flowers. My tortoises have a strong color preference, ignoring pale blooms and devouring the brighter stronger colored ones.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
This is my first year growing Hibiscus and Tuleo has yet to eat one leaf offered by loves (now) the flowers! Mine is a pretty pink color. They sure are happy looking plants and I hope to grow more soon.