hibiscus grow in northeast

Ali311

Location (City and/or State)
Southbridge ma
hi, i live in the northeast (mass) and wanted to grow some hibiscus for my sulcata. i see so many types of seeds that i can buy. im not sure if all of these are safe. could someone suggest a safe hibiscus that could grow in the northeast?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Look for "Rose of Sharon"

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
By "safe" do you mean non-toxic?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The ones labelled "hardy hibiscus" are cold tolerant. (if that's what you mean by 'safe')

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
In your area, probably zone 5b, you can easily grow the deciduous or the "herbaceous perennial" types. The "dinner plate" hibiscus is the herbaceous perennial. It dies back every winter all the way to the ground and then comes back in spring. Huge flowers - dinner plate size. It is the Hibiscus moscheutos. It can be grown even in zone 4.

The more bush-like hibiscus are the rose of sharon or mallow plant at our nursery. It is deciduous and grows to zone 5. Hibiscus syriacus I have these in my Burmese star enclosure and they drop flowers most all summer and fall. The loose all their leaves every winter, but come back each spring. I have a few that are pruned up into patio trees as well.

agnes&theo

Greenville, SC
I'm growing two rose for sharon bushes out of pots in my apartment and they're doing great for right now. I got them from our botanical garden and I was told they can grow out of pots for the first couple years if you trim them correctly. My tortoises are loving the leaves!