Aquatic Turtle Food?

Sequoia

I have a redfoot hatchling I'm nervous isn't getting enough protein. (He's not showing health problems, just I only feed veggies and I know he should be omnivorous.) So, I went to the store to get him some mealworms and ended up picking up aquatic turtle food that contains mealworms + shrimp + some other stuff. (don't ask me how I ended up with that and not just a normal bag of mealworms...)

So, my question is, is it okay to feed him? It's Brown's Encore brand. Here's an ingredient list.

open

This would be a once-a-week scenario. I mostly feed him fresh veggies.

thanks!

SteveW

I'm not a big fan of mealworms. Lots of exoskeleton, not much calcium. My redfoot gets hard boiled egg once a week, plus the occasional calcium-dusted earthworm.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Please read Turtletary.com Redfoot care sheet. Some breeders believe that redfoots should start eating protein at 6 months. I would not give mine aquatic turtle food.
I would read the above and TortoiseLibrary.com.
Good luck.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I'm not a big fan of mealworms. Lots of exoskeleton, not much calcium. My redfoot gets hard boiled egg once a week, plus the occasional calcium-dusted earthworm.
I 2nd Steve's method. I scramble my egg though just to make sure they get the yolk.
I also crush the shell up really really fine for my juveniles and mix in before I scramble it in the microwave. Serve when it's cold too.
It's a cheap and good source of protein.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Go to Kroger's and get some tilapia boil it and add it to their greens .