Apricot Royal Leaves

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Are these safe to feed my Leo's?

ds1m.jpg

qt3t.jpg

I read Apricots are safe when fed sparingly, but I don't like to feed them fruits and I've found nothing about the leaves. Just thought I'd ask because I have a tree in my backyard and was wondering if I could put the leaves into some use.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
According to thetortoisetable.org.uk:

Cyanogenic glycosides (found in most stone fruit, seeds, bark, and leaves) are present in high concentration in Apricot stones, and they should therefore be avoided.
The leaves, as they get older and wilt, produce a cyanic compound, so although your tortoise will come to no harm if he accidentally nibbles a few fallen leaves, it is wise to prevent him from doing so if possible.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the insight, that was very helpful! :) I even took a look at the site and I'm surprised I didn't find this. None of the tortoises I have, have ever eaten a leaf or a piece of fruit, thanks for making this clear!
:D
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
According to thetortoisetable.org.uk:

Cyanogenic glycosides (found in most stone fruit, seeds, bark, and leaves) are present in high concentration in Apricot stones, and they should therefore be avoided.
The leaves, as they get older and wilt, produce a cyanic compound, so although your tortoise will come to no harm if he accidentally nibbles a few fallen leaves, it is wise to prevent him from doing so if possible.