Anyone know this one?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Plantsnap told me it was bitter lettuce.. Want to get some more opinions though, not really convinced it is bitter lettuce. It has flowers sort of like dandelions and sow thistle, with many clusters of the yellow flowers that turn into white fuzz. This one was the top part ripped off, there are several plants that get two to three feet tall. I'm thinking american burnweed. Edible?IMG_2110.JPGIMG_2109.JPGIMG_2107.JPGIMG_2106.JPG

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Lactuca will have the super-sticky, white sap when you break the stems (or even the ribs of the leaves).

Burnweed is an Aster, so not sticky, as far as I know...

Last edited:

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Lactuca will have the super-sticky, white sap when you break the stems (or even the ribs of the leaves).

Burnwood is an Aster, so not sticky, as far as I know...
Okay, it does not have sticky white sap. So probably burnwood. Thanks

ZenHerper

New Jersey
There y'go!

lol Wild lettuce is the plant equivalent of walking into a giant spider web. (And it's the sap that carries the sedative constituents.)

Those big ball-clusters of flowers are more Burnweed as well. Lactuca has fewer and more delicate size.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
There y'go!

lol Wild lettuce is the plant equivalent of walking into a giant spider web. (And it's the sap that carries the sedative constituents.)
Hahaha, thank you! Do you know if it is edible or if tortoises like it?

ZenHerper

New Jersey

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Fireweed allegedly contains liver-toxic pyrrolidines, but it also has a history of medicinal use. Reviews on flavor are mixed.

I would probably pass for all but the largest species.

This is Green Deane's discussion:

Wow! Very informative article! I probably won't let them have it, they have enough other weeds and don't want to risk anything. Thanks!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I would also pass and I’ll feed just about anything to my Russian. I doubt she would eat it anyway; she’s not big on things in this plant family.