Anyone know about the Sterilization clinic in Las Vegas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
I feel my desert tortoise needs company but I’ve been afraid to get another desert tortoise companion. I have a male which I understand will fight another male and I don’t want a female for chance of breeding and it is illegal to breed them.

Today I read on the news about a two day Sterilization clinic in Las Vegas, but I can’t find much information on it and I don’t know If I can bring my tortoise from SoCa or is it only open to tortoise rescues.

This is the story http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/sterilization-clinic-set-endangered-tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Johnny:

First of all, your tortoise doesn't want or need a companion, regardless of the sex. Tortoises are solitary animals and are perfectly happy living alone. They don't want to have to share the best hiding place or the food. YOU, the food god, are all the companionship he wants.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Hi Johnny:

First of all, your tortoise doesn't want or need a companion, regardless of the sex. Tortoises are solitary animals and are perfectly happy living alone. They don't want to have to share the best hiding place or the food. YOU, the food god, are all the companionship he wants.
Thanks But I have read this before and I don't beleve it. My desert tortoise loves following us around the yard like a puppy and genuinely enjoys it when we come out.
I have seen other Tortoises who have companionship and they seem so much more happier than ones alone.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Years ago I bought some ceramic tortoises and when my tortoise saw them he was just so happy until he figured out that they weren’t real and I swear he went back inside his borrow looking so sad and didn’t come out until the next day.

Mtnewfriend.jpg

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Thanks But I have read this before and I don't beleve it. My desert tortoise loves following us around the yard like a puppy and genuinely enjoys it when we come out.
I have seen other Tortoises who have companionship and they seem so much more happier than ones alone.

Yvonne is absolutely right. Following you around and being interested in a ceramic tortoise, has nothing to do with another tortoise invading his space. My dear friend did not believe this and adopted another desert tortoise. She was just amazed that her sweet desert tortoise repeatedly and aggressively flipped the new arrival.
I have known for years; it does not work.

There are other species of tortoises, that can get along in groups.

My desert tortoise comes out when I call her, likes to be rubbed by us and is very social with us. We are not tortoises.
Good luck!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow....you are totally putting HUMAN emotions to animal behavior....please don't do that. You have been entrusted with a protected species...you are the one responsible for the care, custody and control of that tortoise. Sterilization should not be considered...I mean, by this reasoning---if a male is snipped they should never want a female...that is not the way it works. The tortoise in your care does not want, need nor will it appreciate a partner...it is not a human...it is a solitary creature that only tolerates a female when it is for his pleasure, period. Your lovely tortoise will become something unrecognizable if you add a second tort to the torts space...please understand human emotion has no place in the reptile world.

Also, it is illegal to move this protected species across state lines....also, the reason you are wanting to possibly risk this action is not beneficial to the tort at all....please do research further what happens to a variety of animals/critters who are "fixed"...their body still pumps out hormones but there just is a piece of the path missing..this is still under research for the harmful affect it has on the altered animal....I would suggest you remove the "look a like" statue and simply add some smooth rounded river a little smaller than your tort....and then leave him be...if he wants to he will become friendly with the variety of lady rocks.....

I have four adult male CDTs here .....they are all in their own space and they all enjoy me showing up, I do know that it is because I am that thing they must find as amusing to watch as I them...I also travel with goodies...these are the reasons they enjoy/like/look forward to my visits....and make no mistakes, it is not because they adore me for my winning personality....it is for a variety of very basic primal reasons....

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Also, it is illegal to move this protected species across state lines....
Well this is one of the things I was curious about, because it was confusing when I read that it was for CA, NEV and UT, but it was being held in Las Vegas . I wasn't going to break the law and was going to find out what the deal was before doing anything. That is why I asked so I'm done here. Case closed!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Years ago I bought some ceramic tortoises and when my tortoise saw them he was just so happy until he figured out that they weren’t real and I swear he went back inside his borrow looking so sad and didn’t come out until the next day.
OR
Years ago I bought some ceramic tortoises and when my tortoise saw them he was just so upset until he figured out that they weren’t real and I swear he went back inside his borrow looking so relieved and didn’t come out until the next day.
Mtnewfriend.jpg

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Very Possible although I don’t know what he was doing here? :confused: Maybe trying to mate, I don’t know. LOL:D

FunandGames.jpg

Anyway I decided to remove all the ceramic figures just in case it was upsetting him. :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its difficult to know who or what to believe sometimes. The internet is full of all sorts of misinformation. Even on this forum we have an occasional person or child dispensing advice about species they've never kept or even seen, but they've read about on the internet.

Johnny B, I would ask that you consider the source before you dismiss the sage advice from someone who has cared for hundreds of DTs over more than three decades. If it was some kid regurgitating something they read of some other site, then fine. Dismiss it if you'd like. But when Yvonne takes the time to share her decades of experience with you, and you are so quick to dismiss it... Well... its a little... whats the word... Offensive? Insulting? Flippant maybe...? After all, you asked the question. Yvonne is like the Queen here. She's very humble and I know she won't see it that way, but I see it that way. She deserves a level of respect and reverence not afforded to most. If you are going to ignore advice from her that quickly and with no good reason to do so, it might make it harder to get anyone with any experience to answer your other questions in the future.

I've only been keeping and caring for DTs since the late 80's, so not as long as Yvonne, but every word she typed for you was accurate and sound advice. Please reconsider now that you know who has been sharing their experience with you in response to your query.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Ok I thought this was done, but I guess not. I appreciate the advice and just for the record I am not getting another tortoise.

I'm not so sure of the solidarity thing because I know what I've seen and perhaps a little competition is healthy because it certainly keeps them active and exercised. Now I have never had more than one tortoise and I'm no expert, but when I see a pair or more running around they seem to be a lot more healthy. Now thats just what I've observed in videos and at a couple of petting zoos.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
IAfter all, you asked the question. Yvonne is like the Queen here. She's very humble and I know she won't see it that way, but I see it that way. She deserves a level of respect and reverence not afforded to most. If you are going to ignore advice from her that quickly and with no good reason to do so, it might make it harder to get anyone with any experience to answer your other questions in the future..
OK so now I'm offended. I only joined this forum the other day because I had a question about an event and asked about it in this thread. I don't know any of you or you history so Tom please keep you comments to yourself and read the title. It has nothing to do about anything else.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Please don't be offended . Tom is harsh some times . He doesn't consider human fillings . He just wants to help tortoises . If he is taking time out of his day to help appreciate it . Yvonne is a very nice lady she knows alot about your tortoise. From housing to the wild grasses and weeds to feed . So just stick with it you'll get to know people here and you'll see they aren't that bad .Besides Tom captain offender. Just kidding Tom don't hit me again! Haha By the way welcome!

turtlemanfla88

Welcome new members. I have been keeping turtles and tortoises since I was five years old now I am in my forties. I rehab with a vet gopher tortoises in FLA years ago and some liked each and some would ram and bite real or fake tortoises. I understand sterilizing dogs and cats ,but doing it to turtles and tortoises no. The animal rights extremist would love us to do this because their hidden agenda is none of us should be allowed to keep turtles and tortoises in captivity. When you do your research most of their funds they raise go to paying salaries. The sad thing is only a small percent goes to help the animals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know any of you or you history so Tom please keep you comments to yourself...

That's why I attempted to explain it to you.

But have it your way. I will keep my comments to myself now. Good luck figuring everything out on your own. I think there are some 12 and 13 year olds here that will answer all your questions. There are some great 20 and 30 year old websites out there too. And CTTC will explain in detail how to give your tortoise kidney stones.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Ok I thought this was done, but I guess not. I appreciate the advice and just for the record I am not getting another tortoise.

I'm not so sure of the solidarity thing because I know what I've seen and perhaps a little competition is healthy because it certainly keeps them active and exercised. Now I have never had more than one tortoise and I'm no expert, but when I see a pair or more running around they seem to be a lot more healthy. Now thats just what I've observed in videos and at a couple of petting zoos.
You may think a "little competition" is healthy. It isn't. It stresses a tortoise, it will be more likely for him to catch a disease. And if he isn't sick one or the other may be rammed & flipped, possibly dying. This is an animal, a protected species. And you are the caretaker. Is that really what you want to put your tortoise through?

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
That's why I attempted to explain it to you.

But have it your way. I will keep my comments to myself now. Good luck figuring everything out on your own. I think there are some 12 and 13 year olds here that will answer all your questions. There are some great 20 and 30 year old websites out there too. And CTTC will explain in detail how to give your tortoise kidney stones.
Oh wow, more insults? This has become harassment and I think I’m out a here before it becomes hostile.

Status
Not open for further replies.