Anyone keep Chinese water dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Thinking of getting one, need some advice my plan for set is going to be 200 gallon tank with 6-8 inches of water in the bottom and a land dock area about 1/3 or 2 ft by 30 inches for basking and to get out of water with 3 or 4 vines or branches good setup?

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
swatsx said:
Thinking of getting one, need some advice my plan for set is going to be 200 gallon tank with 6-8 inches of water in the bottom and a land dock area about 1/3 or 2 ft by 30 inches for basking and to get out of water with 3 or 4 vines or branches good setup?

How big is the foot print of that tank (length x width)?

A lot of people underestimate Chinese water dragons but they have the potential to be good pets but you have to spend a lot of time with them.

They are very active lizards and susceptible to nose rubbing. Because of this an aquarium is a poor choice unless you consider placing black aquarium background around the bottom 6" or so of the tank (https://www.google.com/search?q=aqu...e7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=).

The set up you are describing might be a little much. I'd recommend just having a large Rubbermaid container in there for it to soak and swim in and provide as much land as possible. Also make sure there are branches because they love to climb as well.

I've heard some people say they will eat veggies and as adults that might be true but I've never seen it. Staple is insects and lots of them...crickets, roaches, super worms, horned worms, night crawlers, snails, feeder fish etc. As adults you can give pinkies occasionally as well.

My cousin had one years ago and it was a really neat pet, they are a little flighty but if you spend some time with them, they will calm down for you, just takes time like everything else.

Also, for the summer time i'd recommend an outdoor enclosure if you're able to. Make sure you seal it up good as they will find a way out if it's not secure.

Hope that helps you out.

Josh

swatsx

5 Year Member
6ft x 28 inches, would a tegu make a good pet or is a water dragon better?

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Tegu is far better, not even in the same category imo. www.teguterra.com check out his yearlings for sale. Also Ty Park (search for him on FB, that's where he conducts most of his business) will have babies later this year. If you are ready now, Underground Reptiles has babies available now but his prices are a little higher than what I would feel comfortable paying.

Your aquarium would be good for a tegu up to 3' or so but something larger is preferred for an adult (8X4X4). I'll be receiving a pair from Teguterra next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.