Heat in acrylic tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Might be getting some kind of land animal that is going to spend the first year or two in my 200 gallon acrylic tank how can I provide a basking spot thinking a tagu , water dragon or a tortoise please and thank you for your help

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
A water dragon would be cool, on one end of the 200 build it up so it can climb a little, also the tank can hold water so making part of the tank water would be cool. Or a turtle aquatic turtle like dbts, maps, mud or musk turtles

swatsx

5 Year Member
But I just don't know how to do the basking area, how to heat an area 90-120 depending on what I get without melting warping the acrylic

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I used acrylic tanks and never had problems with melting, as long as it put where it's no hitting the plastic it should be fine, also you can make an above tank basking area if you get turtles. If you do a water dragon you can make the basking area above as well. I have a 6x2 foot tank and Im debating on what I wanna house in it as well

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just hang the light fixture by the cord so its over your basking spot, but not touching the plastic.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Tom I was thinking that as well and putting the UVB light inside so it doesn't have to go thru the acrylic I just won't be able to put the lid on but that's fine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh Yeah. The UV lights will have to be inside, or at least over the opening. You can hang a 48" tube in there pretty easily.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Yea my current ballast is a double 48 inch, but now what to get tortoise (still leaning to sulcata) or black and white tegu

If I'm putting it inside I think there goes the dragon.... I know the tank is good for a year or two tips with both I just don't know which will be a better pet

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I vote tegu if you want a pet. Make a screen top and set your lights on it. That's about the easiest way to do it imo. If possible keep part of it covered to increase humidity.

swatsx

5 Year Member
It's acrylic so there's only two 18" x 6" openings in the top

Status
Not open for further replies.