Anyone Having to Bring Torts Inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super_Snapper

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
For the last few days, the temp in my area has been over 100 degrees. My Russian tortoise burrowed into the dirt and went into estavation. I got her out of the ground and now she's in a 50-gallon tub and enjoying the air conditioning with me; I'll keep her inside until this heatwave passes. Anyone else having to bring their animals inside?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't ever bring anybody inside. Our summers here in Central Calif get up into the 100's also. I have all of the tortoises' shelters placed in the shade. The russians dig down under the shelters and stay cool in the shaded earth. The desert tortoises have nice burrows that they go down into. The Manouria are housed under a great big mullberry tree and I have a misting system hanging around under the tree to help keep their area cool. The Aldabran tortoises love a mud wallow, and during the heat of the day you can find them in the mud (in the shade, of course).

I've tried to make all of the outdoor pens as comfy for the tortoises as I can.

Yvonne

Super_Snapper

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The enclosures have shade and hideaways, but I still feel bad about the thought of them being outside on such a hot day. Maybe I'm just too paranoid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Super_Snapper said:
The enclosures have shade and hideaways, but I still feel bad about the thought of them being outside on such a hot day. Maybe I'm just too paranoid.

You can never be too careful. One thing to look for in a heat stressed tortoise is foaming from the nose and mouth. If that occurs you need to quickly cool down the tortoise by placing him into a tub of room temp. water and splashing it up on his carapace.

Yvonne

S

stells

i have had to for opposite reasons, the UK weather is being unpredictable as usual they have been out the last two days, but for a week before that we had non stop rain and dull days lol

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
fortunatly no... at 92lbs, i'd have no house left LOL

in the heat of so cal, he spends most of his days laying flat out in the dirt under the eucaplytus tree. He has a big hole dug out there too, its always cool for him. We also make a big watering hole for him to cool off in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.