Anyone experience this behavior?

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
My sister moved to Broomfield, then Boulder in the early 70's....... the problem animals were bears & cougars......be happy Jan!

Most folks really have no idea how dangerous a racoon CAN be. They have nearly 3" front claws and can lay a dogs face on the ground. They are not fast but are amazingly quick. We used to catch them as kids in our Havahart traps.....and yes, they haul when the end of the trap is opened. We had pete and charlie with their bb guns trained on the cage when we let the 1st one go because we were afraid it would turn to fight.....we needn't have worried LMAO.....

Yeah, I've been trying to kid myself for a few weeks about using that screen door, you guys are right of course....the latch can be "proofed" but that screen sure can't......hmmmm
We also have monster possums. But I can accept them. They would go after torts/turtles...but the are more bluffers when they display...they don’t carry rabies and they eat ticks. We also have to worry about rats, owls and hawks getting at our animals. If you search my posts...look for “always assume there are vigilant parties watching your torts”. You can see a photo of a huge owl...in the daytime no less...watching my small Sulcatas...but couldn’t figure out how to penetrate their enclosure

Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
My sister moved to Broomfield, then Boulder in the early 70's....... the problem animals were bears & cougars......be happy Jan!

Most folks really have no idea how dangerous a racoon CAN be. They have nearly 3" front claws and can lay a dogs face on the ground. They are not fast but are amazingly quick. We used to catch them as kids in our Havahart traps.....and yes, they haul when the end of the trap is opened. We had pete and charlie with their bb guns trained on the cage when we let the 1st one go because we were afraid it would turn to fight.....we needn't have worried LMAO.....

Yeah, I've been trying to kid myself for a few weeks about using that screen door, you guys are right of course....the latch can be "proofed" but that screen sure can't......hmmmm
My homeowners assoc. in Boulder just sent out an alert that a bear was in a neighbor's yard this am a block or so away. We had one climb up in a tree in our back yard last summer. We still have bear problems all over Boulder. They put out big signs & say let the bears have their space. Residents living West of Broadway have to have special bear-resistant trash containers.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Guess they didn't get pushed out Jan, as I had guessed they had! I do envy you, most folks have no concept of "big" until they see the Rockies. Heck, I could almost see them from the Nebraska border with CO! I had a lot of fun out there....it was very sparsely populated back then and I learned how to road-race motorcycles, ski (12 miles trails are unheard of here on the East coast), rappel, climb.....and since I was in my prime, I didn't suffer any altitude issues from "coming from the lowlands" like a lot of people did. Good limes....thankfully did not include meeting any bears....yikes!

Kind of ironic but my oldest sister who taught me all that stuff is named Jan too....funny how life works....

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Guess they didn't get pushed out Jan, as I had guessed they had! I do envy you, most folks have no concept of "big" until they see the Rockies. Heck, I could almost see them from the Nebraska border with CO! I had a lot of fun out there....it was very sparsely populated back then and I learned how to road-race motorcycles, ski (12 miles trails are unheard of here on the East coast), rappel, climb.....and since I was in my prime, I didn't suffer any altitude issues from "coming from the lowlands" like a lot of people did. Good limes....thankfully did not include meeting any bears....yikes!

Kind of ironic but my oldest sister who taught me all that stuff is named Jan too....funny how life works....
I will miss the views, the trails & the downtown mall but all that I could do in the '80s, '90s & early 2000's I can no longer physically do (like triathlons @Boulder Reservoir).

They've basically destroyed the restaurant business w/COVID restrictions, which are still ongoing, & you have to make appointments to work out & can't take showers or swim in the pool. It was time to leave.

boxiemomma

SC
After way too long...have redesigned and expanded the boxies enclosure ( over doubling the initial enclosure space)...I’ve noticed the boxies seem very reluctant to utilize this new space. They stop at the place where a wall was ( now removed because of the expansion) and will only look at the added on area...as though there is an invisible wall still there. I have put them all in the new space...they mill around...then head back and stay in the original enclosure space. It’s the 3rd day now.
But on a positive note...the boxies are feasting on the cicadas ( even the pond frogs are getting a belly full).
To funny, they are creatures of habit. Mine get all in a twist when we go in to "change" something in their enclosure. Their curiosity usually gets the better of them however after a bit :)

Skip K

Virginia
To funny, they are creatures of habit. Mine get all in a twist when we go in to "change" something in their enclosure. Their curiosity usually gets the better of them however after a bit :)
3-4 of them are now venturing in to the new area regularly now. Funny that the first to do this regularly were the 2 little three toed boxies.