Different species, shared wall

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello,
I'm hoping to expand the outdoor enclosure for my Leopard in the spring. Currently, it is next to my Eastern Hermann's enclosure, shared by a wall. I'd like to take out that wall to use the original Hermann's side as well as some space on the other side of the Leopards enclosure (will need to rebuild another one for the Hermann's). My question is, will I need to do anything to the ground, etc. of the side that the Hermann's was originally on before allowing the Leopard to have the entire space? Wondering about this because of possible cross contamination between the species. Thank you for your help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
I'm hoping to expand the outdoor enclosure for my Leopard in the spring. Currently, it is next to my Eastern Hermann's enclosure, shared by a wall. I'd like to take out that wall to use the original Hermann's side as well as some space on the other side of the Leopards enclosure (will need to rebuild another one for the Hermann's). My question is, will I need to do anything to the ground, etc. of the side that the Hermann's was originally on before allowing the Leopard to have the entire space? Wondering about this because of possible cross contamination between the species. Thank you for your help.
There is a risk, but if you take the hermmani out and let the area get cooked by the sun and ravaged by the winter weather, the risk is tremendously reduced after a few months.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
There is a risk, but if you take the hermmani out and let the area get cooked by the sun and ravaged by the winter weather, the risk is tremendously reduced after a few months.
Thank you Tom. Would you recommend removing any plants or replacing the dirt in the spring? My Eastern has had worms in the past. He lives indoors, but I do take him out to the outdoor enclosure during warm months for a few hours a day (not when he had worms, but still).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom. Would you recommend removing any plants or replacing the dirt in the spring? My Eastern has had worms in the past. He lives indoors, but I do take him out to the outdoor enclosure during warm months for a few hours a day (not when he had worms, but still).
Personally, I would not. Too much work and no guarantee that you'd remove ever single possible infectious pathogen. If the first tortoise is healthy and showing no problems over the long term, and there will be months of weather before the new tort species steps foot in the enclosure, I'd be willing to take that risk. Clean out any feces or leftover food, but Mother Nature should take care of the rest.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Personally, I would not. Too much work and no guarantee that you'd remove ever single possible infectious pathogen. If the first tortoise is healthy and showing no problems over the long term, and there will be months of weather before the new tort species steps foot in the enclosure, I'd be willing to take that risk. Clean out any feces or leftover food, but Mother Nature should take care of the rest.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks so much for your help!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Actually, I have been keeping the Hermann's outdoor cleaned up in general because I was paranoid about him having the worms indoors from before. So never leave any poop or food outside each day he was out. Thanks again.