Anyone ever shopped at Tractor Supply plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toledo Ohio
Anyone ever shopped at Tractor Supply plus or another agriculture distributer for tortoise food? I was there the other day and almost bought a product named T.N.T. Timothy-Alfalfa Chops. It’s an alfalfa and hay mash used to feed colts and senior horses. A 40lbs bag cost only $16.00! That’s a fraction of what Grass land is from a conventional pet store. The only question is the Crude Protein (min.) 12%, Crude Fat (min.) 1.5%, Crude Fiber (max.) 30%. Obviously this analysis if measured for a much larger quantity an (8 qt bucket), but it also contains a cane molasses blend?
This wouldn’t be intended to be a stable diet, just substituting Grasslands Tortoises Diet. My local pet store stopped caring the product and now offers a Zilla Tortoise and land turtle product. The product label has a gorgeous picture of a Sulcata but the one of the main ingredients is fish worm. The employee and I had a heated discussion about the ingredients and crude protein.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I LOVE Tractor Supply! But I've never bought tortoise food there. Does your timothy/alfalfa product have molasses as a binder? If so, I wouldn't feed it to your tortoise.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
emysemys said:
I LOVE Tractor Supply! But I've never bought tortoise food there. Does your timothy/alfalfa product have molasses as a binder? If so, I wouldn't feed it to your tortoise.

Im not sure how would i tell? i havent feed it to him yet, i just thought it was a good idea because of the bulk. What does the molasses do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Doesn't it have a list of ingredients?

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
emysemys said:
Doesn't it have a list of ingredients?

It does and did mention molasses but it didn’t specifically say molasses as a binder, but I assume that’s what you mean, they used the molasses to hold the hay fibers together?? Is it hard for Sullies to digest? Or other ill affects? What does it cause? That sucks because the description to use to substitute bales of hay or as topper sounds as if it would be good.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I shop there and love it, but alas, they do not sell tortoise food. I even checked to see if they could special order Mazuri Tortoise diet (after seeing the Mazuri Chinchilla diet there).

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
I thought Alfafa wasn't recommended for Sulcatas

Humm, I haven’t heard that. It an ingredient in Grassland tortoises diet...?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
StudentoftheReptile said:
I shop there and love it, but alas, they do not sell tortoise food. I even checked to see if they could special order Mazuri Tortoise diet (after seeing the Mazuri Chinchilla diet there).

That's funny. If they have the chinchilla, they can order you the tortoise. Not sure if you asked, but if they told you know, they just don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.