Anyone able to help these guys out?

Owllea

Location (City and/or State)
NE Kansas

And another add this morning with two 1.5 yr old sulcatas with horrible pyramiding in Springfield, MO.

I know an Aldabra (Dozer with @jsheffield) was recently rescued out east from a situation and is doing so much better, so figured best to spread news of this one to improve its prospects. And those poor sulcatas.

Owllea

NE Kansas

And another add this morning with two 1.5 yr old sulcatas with horrible pyramiding in Springfield, MO.

I know an Aldabra (Dozer with @jsheffield) was recently rescued out east from a situation and is doing so much better, so figured best to spread news of this one to improve its prospects. And those poor sulcatas.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
"Haven't turned down anything I've offered" speaks volumes about how horrible their care has been.
I would not attempt to take these in.
They likely need intervention in a serious way. And still may never have a good life.
You can't save the entire world.
Maybe I'm getting jaded after all of these years?
My patience and my health are going away.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The 4th tortoise is a REDFOOT.
I smell SCAMMER
It says "one two year old Redfoot tortoise". So at least that part may be correct. BUT ... really? Can you get an Aldabra in any State in the US without a permit?

Owllea

NE Kansas
Craigslist is full of scammers…I forget that sometimes. But it does tug at the heartstrings.
To quote a dog rescue mantra: “Saving one (tortoise) doesn’t change the world, but for that one (tortoise), their whole world is changed forever.”

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Craigslist is full of scammers…I forget that sometimes. But it does tug at the heartstrings.
To quote a dog rescue mantra: “Saving one (tortoise) doesn’t change the world, but for that one (tortoise), their whole world is changed forever.”
I've probably gotten over forty Redfoot through Craigslist. Many required very costly vet intervention including a few surgical procedures. Almost none of them ended up being issue free. I'm just so tired of the people that buy a tortoise without a single thought or even a care about how to care for them.
The quote "You can't save the world" came from a friend of mine. And she was right.
I now try to avoid taking on more tortoises. But I have 3 right now that will soon be looking for new homes once they've been relinquished to me and are proven healthy.
I'm hoping to help by offering information. Instead of moving in to take on more responsibility.
And to me. It's a giant responsibility. Even though it's "just a tortoise" to a lot of folks out there.
Please just do whatever you can do. For as long as you're able to do it.
And do be leary about an inexpensive tortoise. Because they're using very expensive in the end

Owllea

NE Kansas
Your posts on the forum have offered great knowledge for current and future tortoise keepers. It is refreshing that this community doesn’t sugar coat the true cost of good husbandry and aims to inform the next generation of tortoise keepers. Hope good homes are found for your current Redfoot wards in the future!
And it’s true - taking on even a healthy animal is a huge responsibility and investment in time and money. So for an animal with obvious health issues, it is a different level of care and commitment, with the potential that quality of life cannot be easily reached. It is best to go in with as much info as you can.
That’s why I’m not jumping up to help them out myself. I physically and logistically can’t. So good luck to them too, in whatever befalls them. And if this ad exposure leads someone with the time and resources to them, I suppose it may have helped a little.