any type of grass better for sullie

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
ok so we're laying sod. of the following 3 bermuda, fescue or st. augustine...any one better than the other or it dosen't matter. i'm heading to home depot after i finish digging up the yard

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
If you can find Bermuda sod...then grab it. Thing is...in CA it goes dormant for 4 or 5 months...but that isn't a bad thing! It still produces much needed fiber...and is overall the best grass for sulcatas. Fescue sod is a great alternative, because you can keep it green all year 'round...and of the three it's the most likely to allow weed growth...and we all know how much our sullies love dandelions, black medic et al.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
If you can find Bermuda sod...then grab it. Thing is...in CA it goes dormant for 4 or 5 months...but that isn't a bad thing! It still produces much needed fiber...and is overall the best grass for sulcatas. Fescue sod is a great alternative, because you can keep it green all year 'round...and of the three it's the most likely to allow weed growth...and we all know how much our sullies love dandelions, black medic et al.
wow, interesting point about bermuda grass sod. i never knew that about bermuda sod. see you learn something new everyday on TFO.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Bermuda is also from africa (so I have been told), where sulcata are from.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
we have only bermuda in RV's "pasture" and you can see the result. granted, she doesn't get much in the wintertime, but her level of activity is much less... and mazuri goes a long way with her.

teri

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
dmmj said:

That's a different Bermuda...couch grass...I've NEVER seen it in CA...but who knows. I think Tortoisestuff was offering it for awhile.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
DeanS said:
dmmj said:

That's a different Bermuda...couch grass...I've NEVER seen it in CA...but who knows. I think Tortoisestuff was offering it for awhile.
Bummer that makes me sad :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i buy burmuda grass seed and spread it around..
Home Depot has it.
Most people try like heck to get rid of that grass!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Laura...how does the Bermuda do up there...does it germinate well or is it patchy?

dmmj said:
DeanS said:
dmmj said:

Bummer that makes me sad :(

Don't be sad...turns out that Bermuda is also an African (and Australian) grass. I just learned this today from a guy I used to work with at San Diego Zoo. He said that Bermuda is one of the chief turf grasses at Torrey Pines Golf Course. Also, it was introduced during the slave trade...because it was accidentally mixed in with bedding straw on the ships and germinated quite well in the Southeastern states. Hay on the East coast that is called Coastal is actually Bermuda...so YES! It is an African grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.