any tips for plants inside my tortoise table

Laura1001

I'm stuck ad to what to do for plants inside my new table I'm building for my Russian. Where do you acquire plants for your tort? Obviously I can't go to the nursery because they will be full of pesticides and such. Do I just start them from seeds? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thank you conning from piggy and mom in Wisconsin :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When I make an indoor habitat (rarely because all my tortoises live outside) I take plants from my yard. I have a very big collection of cactus and succulents and many are in pots. Plus I take cuttings all the time and start them in pots. So that way I have a never-ending supply of plants for the indoor habitats. My favorite for the desert-type tortoises is jade (crassula), haworthia and elephant bush (portulacaria afra). My favorite for baby box turtles is pothos and Neanthe bella palm trees.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I buy from the nurseries and big box stores if it is not something they are going to eat then just rinse off the roots before planting. They do not eat everything that you plant. For succulants and such, I plant outside the habitat and transfer after a few months. For instance, my sweet potato and ice plants are in hanging baskets and after six months or so I lower them so the torts can get the new growth as it grows down into their reach.

Laura1001

Thanks for the quick response guys! I really appreciate it :) I don't have any plants outside that I can take from :/ and I'd like to plant things that are safe for him to eat just incase....that's why I'm stuck right now :( :eek:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Thanks for the quick response guys! I really appreciate it :) I don't have any plants outside that I can take from :/ and I'd like to plant things that are safe for him to eat just incase....that's why I'm stuck right now :( :eek:
If all you plant is stuff he will eat, he will eat all you plant, lol. I use several types of grasses they will not eat to provide cover. Pasture mix comes with grass seed and several clover varieties. They eat the clover and leave the grass. I also plant purple grass and monkey grass as well as sage bushes and ice plants. The hide in the grass, bury under the bushes and eat the ice plant flowers. I can't remember the place I ordered the pasture mix but you should be able to search it up above and find a thread with a link.

Laura1001

Thank you!!!!!!!! So if I plant stuff in there from a "big box" store if I rinse the roots off before I plant them then it will be ok?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Thank you!!!!!!!! So if I plant stuff in there from a "big box" store if I rinse the roots off before I plant them then it will be ok?
If it is edibles I would plant in different soil and wait a few months first but for decoratives a good rinse to get all the stuff off and make sure there are none of those little white balls in there should do.