Any objections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
I use cut up, small pieces, of green pepper and cherubs as a 'once a week' snack/goody.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
What type of tortoise?
No general objections.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GBtortoises said:
Aren't cherubs baby human angels? If so, I do object to you cutting up winged baby humans and feeding them to your tortoise.

:rolleyes: :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Peppers once a week are fine, but I'm not sure what you meant by cherubs. What did you mean to say before your auto-correct "fixed" it for you?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Cherubs are a brand of little grape tomato. I don't buy them anymore because they don't spoil. Good foods spoil.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh... In that case, I would say it depends on the size and species of tortoise. I feed some of those little tomatoes to my adult sulcatas once in a while as part of a left over salad mix, but its one or two of those mini tomatoes for an 80 pound tortoise, once a month or so.

It won't hurt them in small quantities, infrequently, but I would call it "good" for them.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Edna said:
Cherubs are a brand of little grape tomato. I don't buy them anymore because they don't spoil. Good foods spoil.
In that case Sulcatas shouldn't be eating cherubs!

Sulcatas like Testudo can't digest sugars well and too much sugar can make them sick. Sugary foods like fruit, tomatoes, bell pepper and carrot should be fed only very occasionally in small quantities... preferably never :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
As a rare treat and only small amounts okay. As he grows then more often and more in amount is okay. Keep in mind, that as a little guy, you really want to be a "strict" parent as much as possible and not give out those goodies. The problem often arises with them learning to wrap us around their shells and cause us to give them more and more of the treat stuff because they love them so much. Instead try to give him a treat of something new to him, like a new weed or type of green.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A cool thing about peppers, tomatoes, squash, pumpkin, cucumber, etc is that these are actually all fruits, but lower in sugars than what the grocery store calls fruit. Most tortoises can handle a small amount of 'non-sweet' fruits, and the ones lower in moisture, like peppers and squash, are great for the species that don't do well with too much 'wet' food.

Peppers, squash, and pumpkin are really nice ways to offer some variety, provide nutrients missing in leafy greens, etc. for most species- but even so it should not be more than about 10% of the diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.