Any ideas on sex and species of this turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
My friend is a manager at a Petsmart and a customer brought this guy/gal in because they found him in their back yard. I agreed to take him in (my friend thought he was a tortoise). I only have tortoises besides this guy. I wanted to release it if it was a wild turtle, but I could not tell if it was. I think it started its life out wild and someone had it in their back yard and it got out and this person found it.
I know it is an Ornate box turtle, but is it a regular ornate or a desert ornate? And is it male or female. I'm not so good at telling with turtles. If you need any other pics to tell, let me know and I'll take them.

Thanks,
Nick

P6130118.jpg

P6130120.jpg

carapace
P6130112.jpg

plastron
P6130115.jpg

P6130114.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Terapene ornata ornata female. She appears to have been a captive kept in a little bit too damp enviornment (the missing outer covering on front scutes).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
LOL ask and you shall recieve, an answer here.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's looking like a Desert box turtle, T.o.luteola, female to me. The difference is the amount of rays on the second coastal scute. 5 to 8 rays for T.o.ornata and 11 to 14 for T.o.luteola. I'm counting 11 rays in the second coastal scute. :D
She is WC Nick, just not from where you are. Most likely she was taken from the El Paso area of Texas.

Danny

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks Larry and Danny :D

I'm glad I didn't let her go in the TX hill country then. I was thinking like she looked more like a desert ornate than a regular, but this is the first one I have seen in person. It's good to know how to tell the difference :)

Now the question I have is: Does anyone have a breeding group of these guys to produce captive bred babies?

Nick

DENISEP

5 Year Member
Hi, I currently have 7 boxies including ornates and desert. The attachment has 2 pictures, the top one is a desert and the bottom oneView attachment turtles.pdf is an ornate. Hopefully the pictures will further assist you with identifying your boxie.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maggie Cummings

She's just beautiful, and judging from how she looks in your hand I'd say she's pretty big, bigger then normal...and you take really good pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.