Any guesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoot7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hello. I'm new to the site. I lurked for a while, but after reading the threads about different localities of redfoots, and then looking at mine, I became curious as to what mine was. So I joined just to ask. I'm not sure what he/she is, and it doesn't really matter to me, but I'm curious as to what others opinions are.

A little back round info... I bought Wilson as a hatchling at a reptile show, from a vendor that sold snakes and lizards. He was his only tortoise or turtle. I asked the guy if he knew anything about him and he wasn't even the owner, just working the stand. He guessed someone local to them traded or sold Wilson to them. I bought him because he was healthy looking, and the most unique looking redfoot hatchling out of about 15 different ones through out the show I looked at.

So I'll attach a couple pics and maybe someone more knowledgeable can take a guess as to what his locality may be? Thanks!

8-11-12 by judoka3097, on Flickr

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Beautiful tort. I love the head color. If you don't find an answer, send N2TORTS a pm and he should be able to tell you.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
What a beautiful little redfoot, I love the head coloration and pattern!

I'd guess you may have a mix between an eastern/Brazilian "cherryhead" and a northern locality. I say this because the tort does have the "elbow spur" and head coloration of a cherryhead, but the lighter colored plastron and slightly less bulbous nose of a northern population.

Hopefully others chime in soon. Really unique and beautiful redfoot!

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
What a cute cute tortoise. I'm going to hold out on making a judgement because I frankly don't know :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:

I'd guess you may have a mix between an eastern/Brazilian "cherryhead" and a northern locality. I say this because the tort does have the "elbow spur" and head coloration of a cherryhead, but the lighter colored plastron and slightly less bulbous nose of a northern population.

:D couldn’t have said it better……and a beautiful tort as well , I agree!
I would also go out on a limb ( and way to young to be 100%) and say you have a little male there.
JD~:)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
N2TORTS said:
Redstrike said:

:D couldn’t have said it better……and a beautiful tort as well , I agree!
I would also go out on a limb ( and way to young to be 100%) and say you have a little male there.
JD~:)

:):cool::p

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Its a Redfoot.......Any animal that doesn't have lineage information is just that.......It doesn't need a label for it to be healthy and happy.......

On a side note, I see no Cherryhead in that animal at all.......I do see some tendencies towards a "type" locality, but that doesn't mean squat in the big picture......

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
Thanks for taking a guess and the compliments!. He/she definitely has a unique head coloration and pattern. And I'm not looking for a label, as I said in the OP, it doesn't matter to me what it is. I was just looking through some of the different locality traits, and I noticed the elbow spurs, so it had me wondering.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I like the head. It will be interesting to see how much of the current look it retains with age.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
Its a Redfoot.......Any animal that doesn't have lineage information is just that.......It doesn't need a label for it to be healthy and happy.......

On a side note, I see no Cherryhead in that animal at all.......I do see some tendencies towards a "type" locality, but that doesn't mean squat in the big picture......

Sure has a bulbous nose .....very common in the cherries I've seen.:cool:

EricIvins

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
EricIvins said:

Sure has a bulbous nose .....very common in the cherries I've seen.:cool:

While that may be......Cherryheads are not the only type of Redfoot that has that bulbous nose.......Alot of the southern, non-Cherryhead localities have that too......

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Really interesting coloration!

The only solid 'race' indicator I see is the northern-type plastron.

Status
Not open for further replies.