Any Gardeners Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I know there has to be... Also, I realize it's a crazy long time since I've posted but all is well.

We're in a rental, so we're not doing anything *too* permanent (landlords don't care, but don't want to sink a bunch of money into a place that isn't ours fully).

Buuut the front yard looks like crap. It's basically dirt and weeds because the previous tenant never watered the lawn that was there and left leaves on it so everything died due to no sunlight.

I don't have a good before picture, other than the one I took from google maps, but it'll do.. So here's the "before"
DrivewayBefore1_zpsce5c85de.png

And here's after a few hours of rearranging and raking and digging up weed roots.
45e6c794-55a3-4cfe-ad90-74bd15340210_zps54eb8f66.jpg

The neighbor came out and commented on how much nicer it looked, and I'm sure the neighbor across the street with their house up for sale appreciates it, haha.

But if anyone has advice for decor/plants that would do well in mostly bright light, a hot humid climate, and really sandy/clay soil let me know. I plan on going to the local landscaping place and seeing what does well.

I was thinking of doing either short compact grass in a mulched border along the driveway, with flowers under the mailbox, or doing something like lavender down the driveway edge..

Input/comments are welcome! Looking for ways to make it look good but still be cheap :p

Something like this, maybe:
plants_zps27f2f68e.jpg

Or lavender (with mulch around it)
lavender_zps67d4e337.jpg

Found a picture that looks similar to the house. If we owned it, we'd probably do something like this: http://img4-2.sunset.timeinc.net/i/2009/02/lawn-free-l.jpg?400:400
since grass doesn't grow well in the soil/clay and wouldn't have to ever mow it, lol.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Plant white clover in the yard. The honey bees will discourage people from walking on it and your critters could eat on it.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
The only issue is we sometimes have to park halfway in the yard and clover doesn't handle that too well. And one of our friends that comes over often is deathly allergic to bees, not to mention I dislike wasps/bees. But I may plant some in the back yard for tortoise munching.

If back in rainy Washington/Oregon we'd probably try for a moss garden since it requires no mowing, but it would dry out here.

Maybe a bird bath and some mulch/stone edging to distract from the brown-ness of it all.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
plantedflowers1_zpsdc901791.jpg

Planted some pansies around the mailbox since they were cheap and can be planted here as early as January/February since we don't get any more hard frosts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Perfect climate for hibiscus. Great tortoise food too.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How about some hostas up around the tree? Usually can find somebody who has plants that will subdivide for you. They will fill out, have the great green (or shades of green with white, too) that will fill out, but only get a bloom stalk which you could cut off.

For the same reason, if there is an area that gets some sun, might think of a few daylilies. They only bloom for short periods.

If it's really shady by the mailbox, later in the year you might want to think about some impatients. They hold up a bit better to the warm weather then do the pansies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom mentioned the hibiscus! Let's take it a step further...Rose of Sharon is perfect! It's a type of hibiscus that can grow to be about a 10' tree...or you can train it into a hedge. Speaking of 10' trees...how about a dwarf (or chaparral) mulberry...very unique little tree...without the fruit!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Landlord might not like more trees. As is there are about 30 trees on this tiny lot (most huge pines and oaks). The front yard isn't very shaded and gets 6-8 hours of full sun. I've thought about potted hibiscus (so can take with whenever we move). I'll probably replace the pansies with either inpatients or marigolds or daisies (or some mix). I looked at phlox for along the driveway since it attracts butterflies and spreads on it's own :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be hitting up the farmers market in the next month when all the starter plants are out.

Oh and will be constructing an outdoor raised garden bed and tortoise pen in the back yard... Eventually when funds permit/exist :p

Status
Not open for further replies.