Any extra measures for buying orchid bark substrate?

J

jylee1997123

I am currently buying orchid bark substrate from local reptiles store, I believe they are selling zoo med repti bark ones. It cost around $3 for 0.4 kg for me. I think their prices are insanely expensive. So i searched around and found chinese's websites that sells 1 kg for like $1.8 dollar. Looks like a great deal to me. The thing is, do I need any extra precautions when buying their substrate? Is it safe for my tortoise? or is it not worth the risk? or it will just work fine like those that the reptile shop sells ones? Should I ask the chinese seller for more info?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just make sure it's fir bark.

J

jylee1997123

or from another seller
I think the second one looks nice

Attachments

• TB2mIXmlVXXXXX7XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!204500942.jpg
    TB2mIXmlVXXXXX7XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!204500942.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 39
  • TB2f94mlVXXXXadXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!204500942.jpg
    TB2f94mlVXXXXadXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!204500942.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 39
  • TB2yMlAlVXXXXbCXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!204500942.jpg
    TB2yMlAlVXXXXbCXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!204500942.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 33
  • TB2_KxElVXXXXaYXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!204500942.jpg
    TB2_KxElVXXXXaYXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!204500942.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 31

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this Fir? Sorry I dont really understand what Fir means
also he sells them in three sizes. I suppose i should get the smallest size?
Fir bark comes from the fir tree.

Noble-Fir-Pictures.jpg

Orchid bark is fairly pure, as orchids are sensitive and need clean growing medium. So orchid bark is clean, and made from the bark of fir trees. It comes in three sizes. I like to buy the small size, size referring to the size of the particles, not the size of the bag it comes in.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Fir bark comes from the fir tree.

Noble-Fir-Pictures.jpg

Orchid bark is fairly pure, as orchids are sensitive and need clean growing medium. So orchid bark is clean, and made from the bark of fir trees. It comes in three sizes. I like to buy the small size, size referring to the size of the particles, not the size of the bag it comes in.
Hey Yvonne do you happen to know if you have to settle for larger chunk substrate can the torts still burrow? currently using coco coir repti earth paying like 30$+ for 32Quarts I fill 3+inches then top with cypress mulch but want to replace for orchid but have also heard some just going straight orchid.

Might be worth the savings honestly.

Attachments

• IMG_5562.jpeg
    IMG_5562.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hey Yvonne do you happen to know if you have to settle for larger chunk substrate can the torts still burrow? currently using coco coir repti earth paying like 30$+ for 32Quarts I fill 3+inches then top with cypress mulch but want to replace for orchid but have also heard some just going straight orchid.

In HomeDepot you can get 72 quarts of coco coir for 16$ (maybe even cheaper) - it comes pressed in bricks and needs to be rehydrated first.

Tom said once, that babies burrow in fine grade orchid bark just fine, but he prefers coco coir for them. So what you have now is a good option and doesn't need changing. But if you don't like the mess - you might go with plain fine grade orchid bark.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Either cococoir or orchid bark can be purchased in bulk at garden centers. Not chain hardware store garden centers, but nursery type garden centers. The coco coir comes in big compressed 10 pound blocks for around $10-15. I get orchid bark for $12 for a 2.0 cu. ft. bag:
Orchid Bark.JPG

Coco Coir.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I don't use the larger chunks because it's difficult for the tortoises to walk on.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

I'm not Yvonne, but the bigger chunks are harder for a tort to walk on, I go to a big box store...home depot, Lowe's, nurseries and buy 2 cu feet for $15 small grade ...I recently found fir bark for $5 2 cu feet...for my box turtles. That's at a local BiMart in Corvallis Oregon...but reptile stores or pet stores are way too expensive...shop around and also check out Amazon

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
In HomeDepot you can get 72 quarts of coco coir for 16$ (maybe even cheaper) - it comes pressed in bricks and needs to be rehydrated first.

Tom said once, that babies burrow in fine grade orchid bark just fine, but he prefers coco coir for them. So what you have now is a good option and doesn't need changing. But if you don't like the mess - you might go with plain fine grade orchid bark.
Thanks for the tips all illl be checking out home depot and local nurseries for coco coir and orchid bark i think coco coir as the base then a couple inches of orchid bark on top might be the ticket!

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Either cococoir or orchid bark can be purchased in bulk at garden centers. Not chain hardware store garden centers, but nursery type garden centers. The coco coir comes in big compressed 10 pound blocks for around $10-15. I get orchid bark for $12 for a 2.0 cu. ft. bag:
View attachment 367691

View attachment 367690
thanks tom! also those flood lights are night and day hooked up to a temp dimmer thing it now regulates that basking spot perfect now no more insane hot spots that basking spot bulb is super dangerous imo i had to constantly monitor temps otherwise one spot could be like 120F and surrounding could be 100F i wish more people knew about those flood lights in pet stores al you get are those spot intense heat bulbs.

Reactions: Tom