any Canadians out there?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations.
We have a lot of canadian members, maybe to many. :)
Enjoy yourself.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Blackjack welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Hermanns Rule ! Do we get to see Picts of your torts and their enclosure . It's nice to meet people that know 1955 isn't a tire size. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Blackjack, and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, we have many, many Canadian members here. Seems like the high prices tortoises go for up there don't deter your fellow citizens much at all.

Kim444

5 Year Member
Hi Blackjack, I am from Montreal, Quebec. Congrats on your new tort.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Hello, I'm from Alberta. ^_^ Definitely have seen a good number of us on here, ha. :p

Blkjkoknhrt

This baby tortoise was an impulse born of a long term hankering for a new pet. Hes a real baby, still has his eggtooth (I have no idea how long before it falls off). Ive been interested in pets since before cites and remember pet stores full of monkeys, coatis, tuataras and even a red fox once. Ive had numerous animals over the years, including fish, amphibians , reptiles, dogs, cats and chickens. Ive also worked at Winnipeg pet stores for some length of time.

My first tort was a eastern box turtle. I was seven years old and bought it from K-Mart, believe it or not, for $89.99. I kept him in an iron washtub and fed him the common diet of the day: (turn away if youre squeamish) lettuce and raw liver! Weve learned a lot since then!

I like the Hermanns because they require low humidity. Who deals with the Hermanns? Im hot to find out what you feed your gang, especially any grassland, drier species, and how you handle humidity - its terribly cold and dry up here in Manitoba.

Im interested in all the types you have and how you manage them. Im limited in space (apartment dweller - no balcony or yard). Tanks and tubs are what Ill use, so the smaller species suit my situation better.

Right now Ive got Munster in a 10gal tank, heat lamped, UVd, and paper towels for substrate. DEC22: THAT'S changed already, see new pics...white substrate was the 1st week to watch for bugs, pee and poop, second and third is new digs a week later. Any comments?

upload_2014-12-28_13-22-22.png IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0658.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Blkjkoknhrt

Hello Blackjack welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Hermanns Rule ! Do we get to see Picts of your torts and their enclosure . It's nice to meet people that know 1955 isn't a tire size. :)

Heh, tire size! Az allows for outdoor enclosures pretty much year round, if you factor in hibernation. Up here its indoors or not! Do you keep Hermann's? whats your take on humidity and substrate? Check further down for enclosure pics

Attachments

• IMG_0650.JPG
    IMG_0650.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 6

Randi

Canada
Hello! I live in Edmonton, Alberta. Congrats on your new baby. Your backyard is probably as full of snow as mine. Humidity is an issue here as well - I have a species that needs high humidity so I do a minimum of three soaks and about two tank mistings a day. Good luck with your baby!

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Hello! I live in Edmonton, Alberta. Congrats on your new baby. Your backyard is probably as full of snow as mine. Humidity is an issue here as well - I have a species that needs high humidity so I do a minimum of three soaks and about two tank mistings a day. Good luck with your baby!

Hey, I live here too! Ha. And I think we have the same species of Tort :p Love to see more chelonian lovers in the area ^_^

Randi

Canada
Hey :) I have a Cherry Head. Looks like you do too! How long have you had yours?