Angle of heat lamps

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cornelius Or
I was recently scrolling through one of the Russian Tortoise Facebook groups I am in and saw where a member had their heat lamp (one with the clip on it which allows the lamp to be rotated and angled) clipped onto the side of their enclosure so the light and heat were spread out over the entire area. Immediately I saw where several people jumped on her for having it angled stating it should only point straight up and down. I was only able to find a thread on here about UVB bulbs but not heat lamps. Is it true that they have to be directed straight up and down or can they be angled allowing for light and heat to be spread over a larger surface? If the temperatures are correct and there is an area warm enough for basking and one cool enough for the tort to escape the heat then does angle matter? The main reason people were jumping on her had to do with them saying the tort would hurt it’s eyes because they could look up at the lamp easier and stare into it. This seemed like a weak argument since the sun is at an angle throughout the day and tortoises don’t just stare into it blinding themselves. Or do they?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was recently scrolling through one of the Russian Tortoise Facebook groups I am in and saw where a member had their heat lamp (one with the clip on it which allows the lamp to be rotated and angled) clipped onto the side of their enclosure so the light and heat were spread out over the entire area. Immediately I saw where several people jumped on her for having it angled stating it should only point straight up and down. I was only able to find a thread on here about UVB bulbs but not heat lamps. Is it true that they have to be directed straight up and down or can they be angled allowing for light and heat to be spread over a larger surface? If the temperatures are correct and there is an area warm enough for basking and one cool enough for the tort to escape the heat then does angle matter? The main reason people were jumping on her had to do with them saying the tort would hurt it’s eyes because they could look up at the lamp easier and stare into it. This seemed like a weak argument since the sun is at an angle throughout the day and tortoises don’t just stare into it blinding themselves. Or do they?
The lamps should point straight up and down, but the bigger issue is that those little clamps always fail eventually and it can not only kill your tortoise, but also burn your whole house down. Never use the clamps. Always hang your heat lamps from over head.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly it says right on the light's packaging that clamping it at an angle shortens the life of the bulb.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If you are talking about a Mercury Vapor Bulb, or other bulb producing both heat and UVB, then it is true to be best placed only overhead. Tortoises, in fact all reptiles, are 'designed' with enhanced brows to protect the eye from escessive light exposure. Although the sun indeed does appear lower in the sky in morning and evening, it is only midday that the UVB levels are high enough to do significant harm. As the sun lowers in the sky, very quickly the increased angle through the atmosphere starts screening and limiting the amount of UVB. If you place a UVB light where it is at an angle, it still produced just as much UVB and often the tortoise can get even closer - where it is even stronger.

Always place basking light and UVB where it is coming from directly overhead.

Archie's mom

Groveland ny
Hi everyone....I'm confused about the UVB and heat. Aren't they 2 different lights and I thought if you put the UVB overhead on a screen it reduces the rays the tort needs. I have my heat light on a screen facing down and a tube UVB light tied to the side of enclosure but I also have a a clamp on heat and a clamp on UVB shining at an angle at the other end. I only use the heat one when he's out and about but the UVB one is on a timer with the other lights. Is that ok?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mark (above) made a very good point. Tortoises are designed with overhanging brows which shade their eyes from OVERHEAD sun rays. Hanging or clamping the light at an angle makes the light shine in the eyes under the brows.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi everyone....I'm confused about the UVB and heat. Aren't they 2 different lights and I thought if you put the UVB overhead on a screen it reduces the rays the tort needs. I have my heat light on a screen facing down and a tube UVB light tied to the side of enclosure but I also have a a clamp on heat and a clamp on UVB shining at an angle at the other end. I only use the heat one when he's out and about but the UVB one is on a timer with the other lights. Is that ok?
In my opinion, the only UVB to use is a strip florescent.
Mounted on top, facing down.
If you use a T5 "HO" UVB lamp like the one pictured, it can still pass a useable amount of UVB through most metal screen tops. A T5 is twice as strong as an older T8 type. A T8 sitting on top of a screen top is just a light. There's little to no UVB lower than 3 inches.
(The screen can block 50% or more)
Your clamp on UVB would not be needed with a strip UVB. Its probably one that isn't doing much, anyway. Also, I avoid MVB bulbs because they don't provide reliable, useable UVB in a consistent manner and are just too drying.
And any light or heater on a clamp should be avoided. Or the clamp should be screwed or otherwise securely attached in a secondary manner. Because those clamps fail. A failing clamp can start a fire.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Triplejester

Louisiana
I to was having problems and zeropilot pointed out exactly what was needed. I have a 75 watt heat lamp hanging and the t5ho set 12 inches above shell point. Until I put the t5honin my tortoise would not even come and bask.

Attachments

• 20200220_185100.jpg
    20200220_185100.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 12

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I to was having problems and zeropilot pointed out exactly what was needed. I have a 75 watt heat lamp hanging and the t5ho set 12 inches above shell point. Until I put the t5honin my tortoise would not even come and bask.
T5 aren't that new.
But I've recently swapped over from T8 thanks to help from other members.
These "newer" UVB lamps work great.

turtlebean

Connecticut
I have learned that if you have to use clamp lamps at all, it’s always good to reinforce the back of the clamps with zip ties, pulled as tight as possible. That way there is way less of a chance of your clamps coming loose and causing an accident.

However, I do agree with many above who have said to forgo the clamp lamps all together and use safer, overhead hung and secured lights.

-Julia R

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
My best advice to you is to stay far away from the ridiculous Facebook groups.
I agree with you, I am in one Russian tortoise group and rarely comment except to occasionally offer advice if it’s something I know to be 100% fact. I almost never post anything because the moment you do. 75 people make the same comment over and over again and another 53 people are attacking you for how wrong you are in every aspect of your everything. I mainly stay because I like the pictures and videos people post and sometimes I get good ideas from other people’s set ups.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
If you are talking about a Mercury Vapor Bulb, or other bulb producing both heat and UVB, then it is true to be best placed only overhead. Tortoises, in fact all reptiles, are 'designed' with enhanced brows to protect the eye from escessive light exposure. Although the sun indeed does appear lower in the sky in morning and evening, it is only midday that the UVB levels are high enough to do significant harm. As the sun lowers in the sky, very quickly the increased angle through the atmosphere starts screening and limiting the amount of UVB. If you place a UVB light where it is at an angle, it still produced just as much UVB and often the tortoise can get even closer - where it is even stronger.

Always place basking light and UVB where it is coming from directly overhead.
I use a 48” tube light for my UV source. I was talking specifically about heat lamps.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Also, having it put over the whole enclosure would not establish microclimates well.
That’s a good point. I have an 8’x3’ enclosure with lamps at both ends and at 48” tube UV light between them. I took two old windows we replaced from the house and closed in the top with them and have them able to slide open from each end allowing for the lights to hang down and warm the inside with the center being able to hold the heat in and provide the area for the UV light.