New russian + heat mat help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhome85

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum and completely new to owning a tortoise! After deliberating for a few months today I picked up my Russian and have got his vivarium all set up. I was advised to have his heat mat on at all times and his basking lamp + uv b lamps on 8 hours in winter and 12-14 in summer. Does this sound reasonable? I wasn't sure where to position his heat map, do it put it on the same side as his basking lamp or keep it nearer the middle under his log were he'd sleep?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tomhome85:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

I really don't think you need a heat mat. The tortoise is indoors, right? Your light/heat fixture should take care of all the heat you need. What kind of light did you buy? Can you show us a picture of your habitat?

tomhome85

5 Year Member
Ill have to get some pictures up over the next couple of days to show you - the basking lamp is 60w - the UV is a 10.0 fluorescent 33% UVA 10% UVB

I'm in the uk, although the winter hasn't been particularly cold I'm worried in case theres a cold snap over night that might cause the room he's in to get colder than usual- what sort of night time temps are best ?

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
welcome ... and you should have your lighting set to at least 12 hour days if your going to keep them inside most of the time so they can get the most out of the uvb and heat ... we would love to see pictures if you have them ,and i agree with emysemys you dont really need the heat pad but you want the habitat around 92 to 95 on the hot side and 70's on the cool side and night temps of about mid 60's , so i would set the uvb bulb closser to the cool side kind of in the middle ...(thats if your not using a mvb ) if your using a mvb then just put the one light on one side ...but again we would love to see pictures of the habitat and the RT ...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
tomhome85 said:
Ill have to get some pictures up over the next couple of days to show you - the basking lamp is 60w - the UV is a 10.0 fluorescent 33% UVA 10% UVB

I'm in the uk, although the winter hasn't been particularly cold I'm worried in case theres a cold snap over night that might cause the room he's in to get colder than usual- what sort of night time temps are best ?

Yes, 12-14 hour duration on your lights all year, if you don't hibernate (many of us don't, and you shouldn't anyway until you have owned him awhile). If your house stays above 60 at night, you don't need additional heat. (Remember, the enclosure may retain heat above what the temp in your house is, too).
In fact, Russians tend to prefer a temp drop at night, then to bask to get warm during the day.
During the day, they like a warm/basking side around 95F and cool side around 70.
Most of us don't use heat mats with Russians (pet stores, etc., may be well meaning, but don't often give the best information).
Great source for information, especially the diet area. http://russiantortoise.org/
(They like sand in the substrate, many of us on this forum do not, that is personal preference as well).
Finally, looking ahead to the warmer months, perhaps you can set up an outdoor enclosure, even for the days! They love being outside,and the value of being in the sun >>>>>>>>>>better than any light.
Welcome!

tomhome85

5 Year Member
Thank you for all the advice! Ill definitely take a look at that website tonight - he survived his first night! According to the weather it was the coldest night so far, I did have the heat mat on just in case. His thermometer was around 15 - 17C this morning.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There should be no need for a heat mat with a Russian tortoise at all as long as your night time temperatures do not consistently drop below 15.5c (60f) degrees, even 55c (13c) and lower is fine infrequently. 15-17c (59-62f) at night is fine, actually very good since Russians should have about a 15-20f degree temperature differential from night to day to encourage normal activity levels. Daytime temperatures should be in the 22-28c (72-84f) range with a basking temperature directly under the light at about 35-40.5c (95-105f). The enclosure should be very well lit for 14-16 hours daily to encourage regular activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.