And we're off...New Tortoise person here.

Flashkeeper

I found Flash Gordon, the Russian Tortoise, upside down in the middle of a busy street. I am MN so I knew he was not wandering wild. Anyway, he is my latest rescue and my first reptile. He has an outdoor enclosure for summer days but I bring him in at night. I am working on an indoor enclosure but for right now he is in a tank at night and during inclement weather. He is amazing, I could watch him eat for hours. I am fumbling around here so this forum has been incredibly helpful to me. The main thing that confuses me is diet. I understand the fresh diets and that is what he eats right now with some supplements on top. But winter is coming. What I don't understand is why so many premade diets are made with so many ingredients that they are not supposed to eat?!

IMG_20160612_151104036.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That little monkey. Good thing you have the brick stacked inward a little or he'd be outta' there in a flash!

Welcome to the Forum.

As to the manufactured diets - Russian tortoises eat mainly broad-leaf plants and weeds, and quite a few of those manufactured diets are made up of hay and grass (not broad-leaf), so they wouldn't be seen as food to a Russian tortoise. You can buy endive, escarole, radicchio, turnip greens, dandelion greens (chicory), mustard greens, etc. year round at the grocery store, but after this winter, his first winter with you, you can allow him to hibernate, so that takes the "what do I feed him in winter" question off the table.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to the forum to you and Flash.
They are famous escape artists so be careful.
And be careful of the dog. They have a tendency to regard tortoises as chew toys.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I found Flash Gordon, the Russian Tortoise, upside down in the middle of a busy street. I am MN so I knew he was not wandering wild. Anyway, he is my latest rescue and my first reptile. He has an outdoor enclosure for summer days but I bring him in at night. I am working on an indoor enclosure but for right now he is in a tank at night and during inclement weather. He is amazing, I could watch him eat for hours. I am fumbling around here so this forum has been incredibly helpful to me. The main thing that confuses me is diet. I understand the fresh diets and that is what he eats right now with some supplements on top. But winter is coming. What I don't understand is why so many premade diets are made with so many ingredients that they are not supposed to eat?!

View attachment 182657
What a cute tort! GOD bless. Love that outdoor enclosure.:<3:

I agree with Adam (@Tidgy's Dad ) as far as the dog is concerned. Take care. ;)

And a very warm welcome to the forum! :tort: